Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting and Importing with automatically assigned unique numbers

Exporting and Importing with automatically assigned unique numbers

I want to export the entire db (Act 12) to an Excel sheet, manipulate the fields by combining 3 fields into 1, and then importing the entire result back into the same ACT db structure as previously used.

I'm told I must do it this way because Act doesn't have an available function that would permit me to take the contents of FIELDS A, B & C and Combine them into consecutive entries into a new Field D=A+B+C.

However, if there are duplicates, I want them to remain exactly the way they are (except for the new field "D") when they are imported.

I am also told by ACT that it is not possible to use the record number or the GUID.  I'm told neither are available to use (they could have been exported to Excel to keep records unique).

I am also told by ACT that I cannot create a field which will automatically populate (when first used) with a number or phrase which is unique and will not be duplicated by current or future fields.

I'm surprised at these limitations.

Any ideas?
Robert

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Exporting and Importing with automatically assigned unique numbers

There are add-on products that will handle this. Try www.exponenciel.com

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Exporting and Importing with automatically assigned unique numbers

The Exponenceil product that might do this is: Automatic Field Calculations -

http://www.exponenciel.com/actaddons/actaddon.aspx?ID=90

If it doesn't have the functions you need, you can use itImport - this can number the contacts in a field you create. Then you'd export them as normal with the numbered field and use that field as the match field to update the data with itImport