Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exporting Excel file to ACT

Exporting Excel file to ACT

I have Excel 2007 and I'm having problems exporting into ACT 9.0.  Well, I guess importing from Excel to ACT.  I have done this before and I switched the file to a text delimited file but I can't get the mapping to work in the wizard and nothing moves over. I have looked at a few things in here, different threads, just can't seem to figure out why it's not working.  Downloaded this CRMADDON thing, but didn't know how to use it either, couldn't move anything to ACT.

Any help?

Tuned Listener

Re: Exporting Excel file to ACT

OK try this.

In Excel 2007 open up a new file. Put in a couple of dummy contacts, the file should look something like this

Contact            Company               Phone

Dave Smith       Nike                     003344187

Peter Brough     DSG International   087479879

NB: Dont forget to add the headings in row 1.

Save the file as a csv file. You can force Excel to do this by typing the file name like this when saving:

"filename.csv" - including the quotes.

Now try to import that into ACT! using the following article:

http://tinyurl.com/4qfpee

Let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Cesc 

It didn't work, seems there is an ACT 2007 and Office 2007 conflict; even when I saved the excel file as a 2003 file, it didnt take... someone told me about itImport, which costs $555 to purchase, and the trial version didn't import anything either, so why would I spend $555 on something that is supposed to be a part of ACT.   help?
Nickel Contributor

The name of the game is to automate.  Have everything done for you.  Alas,  the ACT! software is so far away from that that you might as well waste all of your time in front of a computer.

It's easier to export your info instead of import.  You might as well watch the sap fall from trees than import information unless you learn .net.  Then you could get away from the rip off artists.

-P

Platinum Elite Contributor

mdc712 wrote:
It didn't work, seems there is an ACT 2007 and Office 2007 conflict; even when I saved the excel file as a 2003 file, it didnt take... someone told me about itImport, which costs $555 to purchase, and the trial version didn't import anything either, so why would I spend $555 on something that is supposed to be a part of ACT.   help?

ACT! 2007 and Office 2007 don't conflict, it's simply that ACT! 2007 was built before MS made all the changes. It won't matter if you "Save As" an Excel 2003 file as ACT! would still need to use the Excel 2007 DLLs to read it.

You would need to save it as a CSV in order to import it... or itImport should work fine with it.

patgenn123 wrote:

The name of the game is to automate.  Have everything done for you.  Alas,  the ACT! software is so far away from that that you might as well waste all of your time in front of a computer.

It's easier to export your info instead of import.  You might as well watch the sap fall from trees than import information unless you learn .net.  Then you could get away from the rip off artists.

I import 100s of contacts every day into ACT!... from emails, Excel and SQL sources - all completely automated.

Nickel Contributor

You may with ImportIT, but I am not paying that to do an import.

patgenn123 wrote:
You may with ImportIT, but I am not paying that to do an import.

You don't need touse itImport to do "an import"... providing you're importing from CSV or an Excel format that the version of ACT! supports and you don't need it automated

I got it to import using a csv file from excel... but now the stupid question, now do i get both the first and last names to stay in contacts when they are in the excel as column 1 and 2...  only imported last name.  help?  sure this is simple.

The simplest way is usually to combine the two fields in Excel to one field (Contact) before exporting to CSV