Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Export to Excel Grayed out - Please Help

Copper Contributor

Export to Excel Grayed out - Please Help

I just upgraded to ACT 2008. I have been an ACT user since 2.0

currently running Vista with Excel 2000. I have been unable to get the export to excel icon to appear in any of the views (contact list, group list, etc). I have read the ACT articles regarding the export to excel function but it just doesn't work for me.

can someone help me figure out how to make this work? thank you
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Export to Excel Grayed out - Please Help

Hi,

The Office 2000 suite is not supoorted in ACT 2008. You would need to upgrade to at least Office 2002 in order to have that functionality.
Copper Contributor

thank you for your response.

according to the ACT Knowledgebase article Excel 2000 IS supported.

The Export to Excel option is available from the Contact List, Group List, Company List or Opportunity List views. You must have Microsoft Excel versions 2000, 2002, or 2003 installed. You can also transfer Contact data into an Excel document attached to the Documents tab of a record.

do you have any thoughts on how to get the export to excel icon to work for me?
Nickel Super Contributor

Can you provide me with the kb article number you are you looking at? It will need to be corrected.

None of the Office 2000 products, including Excel, is supported in 2008. For this reason, unless you upgrade, you unfortunately will not be able to export to Excel. You other option might be an add-on product, but I'm not sure if that would or would not work with an unsupported version of Excel.

This is from our ACT! 2008 System Requirements:
Excel is not specifically listed, but Outlook and Word are.
(http://www.act.com/2008/system/)
ACT! 2008 and ACT! Premium 2008 Work With:

* Microsoft Outlook® 2002/2003/2007
* Microsoft Outlook Express 5.5/6.0.
* Lotus Notes® 6.5; if installed on Windows Vista, Lotus Notes 7.02
* Eudora® 5.2
* Internet Mail SMTP/POP3
* Microsoft Office 2002/2003/2007
* Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6.0/7.0
* Adobe® Reader® 6.0/7.0/8.0
* Peachtree Accounting 2006/2007/2008 (with additional Accounting Link product)
* QuickBooks® Pro/Premier 2006/2007 (with additional Accounting Link product)
* VMware Workstation 5.0/5.5 and VMware Server 1.0.1
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

thank you for your response.

if you go to act support and do a search on export to excel grayed out you will see the article
LINK

The user Security Role of Restricted or Browse will not allow you to access this feature. You must be logged into the database as an Administrator, Manager or Standard user to access the Export to Excel feature.

In addition, if you are using Excel 97, the Export to Excel function will not be available. You must have Excel 2000 or newer to access this function.

Follow the steps below to determine the Security Role of your logged in ACT! user:

1. Click the Help menu, and then click About ACT!. The About ACT! dialog box appears.
2. Click the Database Info button. The Database Information dialog box appears:

Note: Images in your version of ACT! may differ slightly from the images used in this Answer.

question: do you know if open office will work?

currently In order to export I have to export my lookup through the file export feature. unfortunately none of the custom columns attributes stick so I end up having to go back through my spreadsheet and move things around.

why wouldn't excel 2000 work? doesn't make much sense.

{link shortened to improve scrolling issue}

Message Edited by tashina on 04-19-2008 08:43 PM
Nickel Super Contributor

I found the kb you are referring to, I will make sure that it does not list ACT 2008 for Product Family.

I do not believe that Open Office will work. I've never tested it personally, but I would imagine that ACT will not recognize it.

As for why the Excel 2000 will no longer work, it was decided with the release of ACT 2008 that neither Windows 2000 or Office 2000 would be supported, but Office 2007 would be,.
Copper Contributor

thanks for the info.

can you advise which version of ACT works with excel 2000 so I can go back to the old rev. I will return 2008 today!
Nickel Super Contributor

Excel 2000 is compatible with anything below 2008. I would recommend 2007 if you are going to down grade.
Platinum Elite Contributor

As you are using Vista, you'd be better off upgrading Office

There is a patch to get ACT! 2007 standard (not Premium) to install on Vista, but ACT! 2008 fully supports Vista

I am having the very same problem.  I have excell 2007 and I can't get the excel export tool to work.  How is this fixed please?

Thanks sincerely,