Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Exception when trying to register for Sage Business Info Services

Exception when trying to register for Sage Business Info Services

We're new to using Sage ACT! Pro 2012 (Version 14.1.108.0), and are running into an exception error when attempting to register for Sage Business Info Services from the "Connections" section.  One of our users had filled out the registration form with all required fields, but upon entering the data gets the following error:

ERROR Exception - System.UriFormatException:  Invalid URI: A port was expected because of there is a colon (':') present but the port could not be parsed.

at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)

[...]

at ACTSPE2005.AccountCreateN.OKBtn_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Now, this seems odd, since no URI was entered on the form, and no colon was present in any of the entries.  The error is repeatable.

Any ideas?

Ken Crater

Control Technology Corp.

Re: Exception when trying to register for Sage Business Info Services

Not a complete solution but a workaround:

I contacted Sage ACT support, with mixed results.  The best info seemed to be from someone who told me that the error message didn't relate to form content, but rather to some difficulty encountered when trying to relay the information to a web URL.  She hypothesized that our firewall (or a proxy server, which we don't have) was rewriting the URL in a way that prevented the registration form data from being transferred.

However, this proved not to be the case.  I tried the same thing at home, where I'm on a plain-vanilla FIOS connection, with the same result.  This appears to be a bonafide bug in the software.  At the very least, the exception should be caught and a useful error message displayed.

Now, the workaround:

I discovered that if, when the registration form is presented, I click on the "advanced" link and entered in a new account name to register simultaneously along with a new password, the form would process OK.

As much as this makes no sense, it works, so I'll take it.  YMMV, and good luck to all.

Ken