Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Excel import - merge not over writing old data

Excel import - merge not over writing old data

I am using Act 2011 13.1 HF 4 - I cannot import/merge an excel file into my act db.  I would like the import to find email addresses, which are unique in my db, and then merge three fields with new data.   Below is a copy of the data fields I am trying to import from excel.  For example, contact and email is the same but I would like to assign to a new email group "Old Company" from "Active" for example.  I have a list of 10,000 emails I would like to update (merge/append) either Company, Email Group or Email Status - all fields currently populated in ACT.

When I import using custom (either excel or CSV file) the name fields match but it will not merge or append new data.

What do I need to do to update my database?

David

CompanyContactE-mailEmail Group

Email Status

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Excel import - merge not over writing old data

Hello David,
If you are attempting to overwrite existing data with imported data, then make sure you select the "Replace with source contact" option in the contact merge options during the import wizard. The "Merge" option does not replace existing field data - it only populates empty fields. Also ensure that duplicate checking has been enabled for contact records.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Excel import - merge not over writing old data

Thanks, solved problem.