Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Excel crashes when updating ACT OLE DB data

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Excel crashes when updating ACT OLE DB data

I've seen a few other posts on this same topic but never anything resolving the problem.

Using ACT! 2008 with Excel 2003 and 2007 on Windows XP, I can connect to my database using the oledb connection fine the first time. I save the spreadsheet and close it, and close Excel. Then when I open the spreadsheet again and try to refresh the data excel crashes.

The following is written to the app log of the XP machine. I've tried this on several machines with active databases as well as the sample database provided with ACT!2008.

Faulting application excel.exe, version 11.0.8231.0, stamp 48934d57, faulting module actoledb.dll, version 2.50.4809.0, stamp 486288e7, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000987a.

Another post in the forum recommended inserting the data into a new sheet rather than specifying a column:row in the current sheet. That doesn't seem to make a difference in my case.

Is there a fix for this? Workaround? Am I trying to do something it's not designed to do?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jepryor
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Excel crashes when updating ACT OLE DB data

I think I may have made a breakthrough. For Office 2007 anyway. Haven't tested with 2003 yet.

It looks to be a password issue.

When the OLE connection is defined you are given the chance to save the password. I've been checking Yes and clicking OK to the security warning that the password is saved unencrypted. That's fine.

While rummaging through the connection settings I noticed the save password box was UNCHECKED even though I had checked it when defining the connection. So I checked it, saved the file, and closed excel. When I reopened the file and refreshed the data it worked fine. To verify it was actually working I went into the DB and changed a few records then went back and refreshed... my changes were reflected in the excel file now.

For further verification I deleted the excel file and started from scratch. I was able to duplicate both success and failure based on the password option.

Further yet... I tried to create a connection and NOT save the password and it bombs out before it can even pull in the data on the initial connection.

So right now, from my view, it seems that the system is expecting a password, doesn't get one, doesn't know what to do next and crashes. Is it designed to prompt me for a password at that point? Sure seems like it should be... but I never get a prompt.

I'm off to test this on my operational systems. I'll report back with success/fail.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

Under the Dependencies folder of your original source media, you should find 2 .MSI files.  One called extensibilityMSM.msi, the other called  "lockbackRegKey.msi".  Please install both of these files to see if this resolves the issue you have encountered and post back.

thanks,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

Well... it's different now Smiley Surprised

I ran both msi's and tried the process again. Tried to update a sheet I created before and it bombed when it tried to refresh. Started from a new blank spreadsheet and now I can't get the data at all.

So before I could get the data the first time, but then couldn't refresh it. Now I can't get it period.

So I'd wager that we're on the right path... 

Thanks for the help so far. What's next?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Now that you have these 2 pieces installed, I would like you to Uninstall ACT! and then Reinstall it.  I think that there may be a dependency relationship that needs to be established now that these extra pieces are in place.  The reason that these components are not part of the original install is that chaining MSI files during an install causes a failure in the overall Installation routine.

Hope that helps,

-Matt

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

Now we're back to square one. I can grab the data the first time, but when I try to refresh, Excel crashes. Same exact error.

Is there a newer version of the actoledb.dll file maybe? I have actoledb.dll, version 2.50.4809.0

Nickel Elite Contributor

Please check you private messages.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Platinum Elite Contributor

Copper Contributor

ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1
English (United States)
Platinum Elite Contributor

Have you tried the Demo database to see if that works?

If it does, try a rebuild of the OLEDB objects in ACTDIAG

Copper Contributor

Yes... same problems on Demo database and our operational system.

Rebuilt OLEDB using ACTDIAG.

Same problems.