Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Excel Integration in 2011 - SLOW SPREADSHEETS!

Excel Integration in 2011 - SLOW SPREADSHEETS!

Hey guys,

Since upgrading to 2011, opening my excel spreadsheets off the server takes a long time, like 10 minutes.  I am running Office 2003 still, but don't have any reason to upgrade right now.  Can I disable only the Excel add-in from ACT to hopefully make it run better?

Billy Claunch

bclaunch@firetruckmall.com

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Excel Integration in 2011 - SLOW SPREADSHEETS!

Do you mean that when opening spreadsheets that are not in any way related to ACT!, they open slowly?

Or are you saying the ACT! related Excel features are slow?

If you are opening Excel spreadsheets that are not ACT! related, are you closing Excel each time only to re-open it again later and the Excel load time is slow, or just doing an "Open" is slow?

Thanks for your reply!

These are unrelated spreadsheets that are taking a long time to open.  The only change since they worked well was that I upgraded to ACT 2011, and now see the ACT tab within Excel, so I assumed perhaps if I could disable this add-in it would access them better.  Other documents on the same server can be accessed with no issues; Word Docs, jpgs, etc.  It is only slow with the Excel Spreadsheets.

Bronze Super Contributor

If you can live without the functionality of the add-in - go into Excel Options from the Office button in the ribbon and under Manage Active Com addins - uncheck ACT! addin.  Close Excel and then re-open and load a sheet to see if it helps...

Thanks so much for your response; I will try this.

If you don't mind, can you define for me "Office button" and "ribbon"?  Are you talking about these in ACT, or in Excel?

Forgive my ignorance, but thank you so much for your help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

In Excel 2007, the Office Button is the MS Office circular logo in the top left corner of Excel. The ribbon is the large graphical menu that runs along the top of Excel (Home, Insert, Page Layout, etc.)

Excel 2010 would not have the Office button...all your options would be under the File menu in the upper left.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I'm using Excel 2003; I looked under "Add-Ins" under the Tools menu from the Ribbon, but it didn't show ACT as an active add-in, even though I do have the ACT selection available in the ribbon... is there somewhere else I should be looking in Excel 2003?

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Excel 2003 is a different story, since it handled add-ins much differently than 2007 and 2010. Try this things in this order:

In Excel:

Go to Tools > Macros > Macro Security

Set to Low

Restart Excel

If this does not help, then try:

Windows Registry:

- Close ACT! and Excel

- Go to your Windows Start button and from the Start Menu, either click Run (Windows XP) or go to the Seach box (Vista, Windows 7)

- Type in regedit

- In the registry, locate the main key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

- Under the key drill down to the following subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel\Addins\ACT7.OfficeAddIn

- With the ACT7.OfficeAddIn selected, look on the rigt side and find the LoadBehavior value

- Double-click LoadBehaviorand change the Value Data to 0 (zero). Click OK.

- Restart ACT! and Excel and test

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.