Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Excel Conversion Problem

New Member
Posts: 11
Country: USA

Excel Conversion Problem

We are using an exisitng 9 column Excel spreadsheet to import into ACT! 2007.  In Test1, I was able to pick up 8 of the 9 columns.  We corrected some data (interestingly enough, not the data/column apparently causing the problem) and now for Test2 I can only pick up 5 of the 9 columns.  It's clearly a problem converting the spreadsheet to a tab delimited file, not an ACT! problem, but I don't know what to do.

 

The columns are Client Name, Address, City, State, Zip, Phone, Date of Birth, Spouse, and Spouse DOB.  It fouls up after Zip.  I tried defining the Zip and Phone columns as text and I tried eliminating the dashes in the phone number (from 123-456-7890 to 1234567890).  Just for the heck of it, I tried deleting and reinputting the column headings.

 

I have one clue as to the problem but do not know what it may mean.  When I open the tab delimited file to convert back to Excel, the first line shows the column headings separated by boxes with Zip being surrounded by quotation marks so that it is box, quotation mark, Zip, quotation mark, box. 

 

Any Excel wizards out there who can help me?  I Googled the problem but only got the same un-helpful Help info that's in Excel's program itself. 

 

Things were going so well, too...........

Copper Contributor
Posts: 7
Country: USA

Re: Excel Conversion Problem

If the problem is occuring with a number format, try taking the numbers and multiply them by the value 1 (you can do this putting a 1 in a cell, then copy the 1 and "Paste Special/Multiply" by that number over the numbers in the cells).

 

This should get around "funny" leading characters sitting in front of numbers.

New Member
Posts: 11
Country: USA

Re: Excel Conversion Problem

Thank you.  I didn't have any luck with your suggestion but it's a good one to put in the bag of tricks if I encounter similar problems in the future.  I finally deleted the entire first row of data and that worked.  It's not the best solution since it only works when the data is easily manageable like this but it was all I could think to do.