Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Every time -> "The record you are trying to create is a duplicate." message, but it's not a duplicate

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Every time -> "The record you are trying to create is a duplicate." message, but it's not a duplicate

Every time I add a new contact and then go to add it to a Group, I get the following warning.

The record you are trying to create is a duplicate. Are you sure you want to continue?

The same goes for when I add a new Group and tab off.

Now these are not duplicate records I am creating but new unique ones. It allows me to continue when I click YES, but is getting annoying.

Any ideas on why it's doing this and what I can do to resolve it?

Thank you.

I am running...

Sage ACT! Premium 2012 Version 14.1.108.0

WIN7 64-bit

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neuromagnetics
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Every time -> "The record you are trying to create is a duplicate." message, but it's not a duplicate

Check your duplicate checking settings. They might be set to check for fields you don't fill in or you fill in with the same data, hence the message...

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Every time -> "The record you are trying to create is a duplicate." message, but it's not a duplicate

It might be of interest that the duplicate error message only appears when a "new contact" is created. It does not appear when a "duplicate contact" is created.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neuromagnetics
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Check your duplicate checking settings. They might be set to check for fields you don't fill in or you fill in with the same data, hence the message...

Gilles Cavin
http://www.exponenciel.com
Make sure you check our free Act! add-ons!
Create Web forms in seconds and import form results directly into Act! with Automatic Web Forms
Fill in PDF Forms without retyping data using Act! to PDF Forms

Thanks. This solved the problem for me. The duplicate settings was by default set to check Phone number. When this was left blank on my new contacts, it returned the duplicate message.

Nice though to be able to set the settings. :-) Now I have instead a warning if I try to create a record with the same company name that I already have in the database.