Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Errors trying to use backup/restore to copy database

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Errors trying to use backup/restore to copy database

[ Edited ]

I need to make some changes to our main Act! database but to run some tests, I am first trying to create a local copy of our data so I can muck about without consequence to nail down the process.  My version is Premium 17.1.169.0 HF 3.

I backed up the database on my desktop and placed the zip file on said desktop.  However, when I try to do a restore, I get the error "The database cannot be restored because it was backed up on a newer version of SQLServer.  Please contact your administrator for assistance".  Since this was all attempted on a local machine, I'm assuming the SQL running on the server is the issue which is in fact different from my version (one that is heavier and we have no license to install on my system so it's not a possibility)

I then tried to do an end run around this and log into the server and do the restore, to my PC from there when I get the error "You are attempting to restore to a non-local drive: Y:\".  

I don't have physical access to the server.  How do I get a local copy of this database?  If I restored it locally on the server to c:\Users\<me>, could I then copy it to the same location on my desktop without issue?

ETA:  Copy As doesn't work either.  Desktop complains that it's a shared DB on the server.  Server complains that the target path is invalid.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kwill
‎11-10-2015 07:45 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Errors trying to use backup/restore to copy database

In the end I had to update to SQL Server Express 2014.  I had to run it twice as the first time it didn't prompt me to update the Act instance.  

All's well now and I'm rampaging through the copy with impunity.  It would be nice though if there was a way to get the copy (save as old version, allow copying on the network, or something) that would have been a simpler solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

You have a problem without an easy answer. It appears that the server is using SQL 2014 for the ACT! SQL instance and that local machine is using SQL 2008 R2 for the ACT! instance. ACT! 17 will work with either version of MSSQL but if the install of ACT! 17.1 finds an ACT! instance from SQL 2008 R2, It won't create an SQL 2014 instance. An ACT backup from SQL 2008 R2 will restore to SQL 2014 but not the other way. On the local machine, uninstall the ACT! program and delete the SQL ACT7 Instance, Restart the system and reinstall ACT! 17.1 (not ACT! 17.0). If you're lucky SQL 2014 will install and create the ACT! instance, Otherwise you'll need to create the ACT! instance manually.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author kwill
‎11-10-2015 07:45 AM
Copper Contributor

In the end I had to update to SQL Server Express 2014.  I had to run it twice as the first time it didn't prompt me to update the Act instance.  

All's well now and I'm rampaging through the copy with impunity.  It would be nice though if there was a way to get the copy (save as old version, allow copying on the network, or something) that would have been a simpler solution.