Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error when merging write documents

Error when merging write documents

Why is it that more often than not, the Software can and will generate the error but the Software Company never provides the explanation or more importantly the resolve to what the error is?

Having said that here is my issue. When attempting to merge a document from the Write drop down menu after using the same templates in ACT for countless years I am now receiving the following error:

Cannot read from or write to a file  Error Code: 01-0415

If anyone can advise me, what, why and the resolve I would appreciate it.  If Sage is one of the limited few that does provide information about the error and resolve somewhere on the site and I missed it, I stand corrected and ask that you point me in the right direction.  

Thanking you in advance for your time, and kind consideration in this matter.

DAVE

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Error when merging write documents

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Can you provide some more detail to this issue:

- What version of Act! are you running?

- What is the word processor you are using? (Act! Word Processor or Microsoft Word)

- Does this happen with all, or an individual template?

- Have you tried merging the document with a different contact(s)?

- Are you able to create and use a new template?

- If you are using MS Word, what version is it?

Greg Martin
Sage

Using the text of your response to reply:

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Can you provide some more detail to this issue:

- What version of Act! are you running?  ACT 2009 (11.0)

- What is the word processor you are using? (Act! Word Processor or Microsoft Word)  ACT

- Does this happen with all, or an individual template?  All that I have tested which is a minimum of 6 existing templates

- Have you tried merging the document with a different contact(s)?  Yes

- Are you able to create and use a new template?  Yes, just created a test template, saved it and then merge with the same contact that I am receiving the above noted error and did not receive the same error with the newly created template.

- If you are using MS Word, what version is it?  Use ACT not Word

Actually I just went back and added a merge field to the test template I created earlier in case the actual merge of data process might have been the issue but with both Contact and Address fields added I did not have an issue with the new template using the same Contact that I do receive an error using any one of my previous templates.

Greg Martin
ACT! On-Line Community
Sage

Notwithstanding the additional information provided can anyone
give me an idea what the above noted error code might mean or
more importantly, how to correct the issue.

Thanking you in advance for your attention to this matter.

Dave

Unfortunately, as a result of a serious motorcycle accident  I have been away from the office for some time and although I am on the mend while away I see I still don't have a solution the the issue originally posed the first part of June.

Regardless of the additional information provided since the original post is there no one within the ACT organization that can simply look up the error code and tell me what the issue is. 

I have to believe if ACT was programmed to generate an error message than someone must know what, why and how to fix it.

If anyone can help me either I would really appreciate it.

Dave Yeoman

Platinum Elite Contributor

After reading the entire thread I'd make a guess that the template you were having problems with didn't have a merge field. A merge template must have at least one merge field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I appreciate the quick response but I am now receiving this error code when using the majority of my templates, the same templates in the same format, using the same database, stored on the same computer hard drive for years.

Dave