Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error when creating new fields

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Error when creating new fields

For the last few months, I have not been able to create new fields.  The error I get is "Cannot find the user ACT OLEDB" when trying to save a new field.

Nothing has changed on my machine, so I'm stumped.  Any help would be appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error when creating new fields

In order to attach the database to the SQL on the server, you will need to log in locally as an Adminstrator on the server.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

Run a backup on your database.

Close Act!.

Run ActDiag from 'Run'.

Click Databases, select 'Database List'.

From the list, choose your database, right click, Select 'Database Rebuild' and choose Rebuild Schema and then Rebuild OLE/DB Report objects.

Close Act! diag and try your custom field again...

Thanks for your input.  I followed those steps, but the database does not show up.  Si I tried to attach to it by browsing to the location, found it on the server and attempted to attach.  I then get an error message stating:  "You don't have permission to open this file.  Contact the file owner or and administrator to obtain permission"

I am an administrator on the database, but not on the server.  Please advise...

Hello matthiasw,

Try the following steps to correct:

- Close ACT!

- In Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows

- In this directory locate the file securitycmdlnapp.exe...double-click the file to run this utility

- Open ACT! and test

If this does not resolve, then you mat be able to correct the issue by applying one of the hotfixes (depending on your version) listed in KB 25311

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks again.  I tried running the utility below, still no luck.  We are running ACT 2010, Version 12, hotfix 2, so the below KB does not seem to apply.

Still cannot attach to the database, same error message as before.

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

In order to attach the database to the SQL on the server, you will need to log in locally as an Adminstrator on the server.

Greig Hollister

Worked like a charm, thanks a ton!!!
csc
Tuned Listener

I am not as technically savvy as the previous user, but I am having the same problem when I try and add new fields and I've just upgraded to ACT! 2010 Premium.  Our database is stored on one of our servers.  Are you saying that in order to add a new field, I need to be logged onto ACT running from the server?

Hello csc,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Are you receiving the same error message when trying to add a new field that the original poster was receiving?

Greig Hollister

Hi there,

Sorry for bumping old posts but I am having the same problem. I get the same error message as the original poster when i try and create a field, i can alter existing fields but it doesnt seem to let me create new ones. Also when I get the same error when i try and "check and repair" the database. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

regards

Matt