Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error when attempting to define new field

Error when attempting to define new field

We recently upgraded from ACT 2008 to ACT 2012. In ACT 2008 I had no problem adding fields. In ACT 2012, I get an following message if I try to define a new field stating that three columns do not exist in the database.  I cannot see where these columns/data fields are used on any form, nor can I find any reference to the column names in the SQL database..

Any ideas are welcome.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error when attempting to define new field

Hello MNJon,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. What are the column names referenced and what is the exact error message?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

The message box that appears has 'Sage ACT!' in the title and says:

Invalid column name 'DETAILS'

Invalid Column name 'STATUS'

Invalid column name 'ACTUALAMT'

and has an 'OK' button. Nothing else.

If you go to Tools > Define Fields, do you have any custom fields with those names? Check all field types (contact, company, opportunity, etc.).

Also, if you try creating a new field in the demo database (ACT2012Demo), do you get the same error?

Have you run maintenance on your database (Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

No, I do not see these 3 fields listed under any of the forms.

I am able to add a field in the demo company, and I have run (twice) the database repair.

Bronze Super Contributor

When you say under any of the forms, do you mean the layouts or as Greig suggested in the Define Fields tool?

Is it possible that these fields could have been the result of fields being renamed?

Renaming fields can cause all kinds of wonderful and exciting unforeseen events!

I've looked both in the forms themselves and in 'define fields' under all 4 or 5 items. Not there.

To the best of my knowledge no one has renamed anything, but I can't rule that out - one of the owners has administrative access.

I tried calling the friendly folks at Sage ACT today and they tell me it is my problem - that I need to go hire a consultant to resolve this issue. Is that correct or are the folks in India being a little too hard line?

We had a rough conversion from ACT 2008 to ACT 2012 - five hours with the India support staff followed by 2.5 hours with a knowledgeable guy in Atlanta that got it fixed. My guess is that this occurred during the conversion.

I suppose I'll have to queue up a before and after backup to see if I'm right.

It got awfully quiet on this thread.....

You need to check all the main entities (contact, group, company and opportunity) to see if that field name is used. Come data types bridge tables. For example if you try to add an address block in the contact table called Billing it will be blocked because there is a Billing address block in the company table.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Super Contributor

It sounds to me like you have fields defined in the schema that don't exist in the database.  I think you'll need to get Sage's database services to fix it for you or one of the ACT! Certified Consultants that does that sort of work.  Another alternative is to create a new database and then export the information from your existing database to the new on.  That's the way I would probably do it because if you have a problem like the one you're describing chances are there are other issues with the database and even Sage's Database Services group may not be able to fix the problem.  I would get in touch with an ACT! Certified Consultant (it sounds like you've already worked with one) and get them to help you straighten it out.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!