Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error updating ACT to Sage ACT! 2012 Service Pack 1

Error updating ACT to Sage ACT! 2012 Service Pack 1

I am using Windows 7, with Sage ACT! 2012 Pro (version 14.0.572.0).

I downloaded and attempted to install Service Pack 1, hoping to eventually get the various hot fixes.

I got an error when trying to install the update, which I didn't write down, unfortunately. When I open ACT now, this is the error message I get:

Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name="". Exception message is: The current build operation (build key Build Key [Act.UI.ActApplication, null] failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3)

What does this mean? How can I fix Act and get it up and running again?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error updating ACT to Sage ACT! 2012 Service Pack 1

Hello TheRedShoes,
If the SP1 update failed, it is important to have the error message displayed when installing. Please reboot your machine, try the SP1 update again, note any error message displayed, and post it here.

Thank you,

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Greig.

I ran the installation again like you said, only this time it seemed to work: no error message. I clicked through all the prompts, and it seemed to install right.

I opened the program, and was able to look up contacts, make changes, etc. Success!

But, then I tried to modify a group and I hit a snag. I closed the program, reopened it, and tried to create a new group and add contacts. When I tried to close the "add contacts" dialog box by hitting "OK," I got the same error message:

Value cannot be null

Parameter name: criteria

What should I try now?

[ Edited ]

- Go into Tools > Preferences > Admin tab.
- Click Duplicate Checking.
- Choose Groups from the "Record type" dropdown

- Ensure that at least one field has been selected.
- Do the same for Contact and Company records as well

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks, that's great. Now I can use and modify the groups, but now each time I try to change a group, or add a new one, it tells me that the group I'm about to change is a duplicate. I did a test group called "test," which I'm sure I don't have already.

This doesn't stop me from getting work done, but is there a way I can stop it?

The field I checked in the "Group" drop-down in the preferences menu  you mentioned was "Address 1," which I just picked at random. Should I pick a different one?

Silver Super Contributor

How about "Group Name".  Add a few more fields if you still get duplicates.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

I would use "Group Name" as Stan suggested - much less likely to get hit by the dupe checking.

Greig Hollister

Thanks everybody. It worked great when I chose "group name."

Not to keep hounding the forums, but any idea why I got the error when I installed the update in the first place? I'm planning to install it on the other computer in our office, and I hope that it doesn't happen again.

Now that I have SP 1, will I be able to install the various Hot Fixes? Or is this unnecessary with SP 1?