Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error trying to restore database "The database can not be restored because it was backed up on a newer version of SQL server."

Error trying to restore database "The database can not be restored because it was backed up on a newer version of SQL server."

[ Edited ]

I created a database on my work computer (Windows 7 and Act2011) and exported it.  When I try to import it on my new computer, I get the message 'The database can not be restored because it was backed up on a newer version of SQL server.'  Whatever that means.  The operating system and the SQL server is the one that came out of the box on both computers.  So, I call 'Customer Service.'  They want to charge me $49 to give me the answer.  Pure, unadulterated snake oil.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on fixing this problem - preferably no-one from Sage -- their hand will need to be greased before they consider helping out.

Cy Stanway

[Edit: subject updated to reflect topic]

Silver Contributor

Re: Error trying to restore database "The database can not be restored because it was backed up on a newer version of SQL server."

On both machines, go to start, run, ACTdiag, click on server, and then Server Information.   See if the versions are as you say the same.

let us know what versions you are seeing and we can possibly help from there.

In some cases, if a comuter had another earlier copy of ACT, the SQL program may have had a conflict and not loaded properly.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Re: Error trying to restore database "The database can not be restored because it was backed up on a newer version of SQL server."

Did you get this resolved? I am stuck in the same spot and have 2 different versions of SQLserver. 

I will check out what, if any, are the differences between the servers.  Thanks for the lead.  I will re-post later.