Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error syncing after moving Publisher Database - the error message is clear as mud

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Error syncing after moving Publisher Database - the error message is clear as mud

Followed the directions to move the publisher database to a new maching.  Got the Sync to start and it looks like it completed, or at least the records were updated.  Then.... comes the error message.  And a resync requires all the data to be resynched so I know ACT did not accept the Sync as complete.

What does this error message mean - except the sync failed???

Synchronization has failed.  Server error description:  setuser failed because of one of the following reasons:

the database principal 'dbo' does not exist, its corresponding server principal does not have server access,

this type of database principal cannot be impersionated, or you do not have permission,

Contact you administrator for assistance.

Clear as mud as to the problem or how to fix it. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Error syncing after moving Publisher Database - the error message is clear as mud

Try opening the remote database - go to Help/ABout and click on the Database Information button.  Close that out and retry sync.  You can also do this on the Main database.  I have found this resolves the dbo principal doesn't exist error.

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Error syncing after moving Publisher Database - the error message is clear as mud

First download ACTDiag v14 . Double click on the downloaded executable, then follow the instructions in this KB article:

KB25099

Copper Super Contributor

ACTDiag v14 is at the bottom of the article about ACTDiag.It is in the File Attachments Area.

Thank you for the prompt and quick response

Where is the file attachments area,  and do I do this on the publisher machine or the remote?

Found the file and downloaded it.  Now to I run this on the Publisher or Remote Database or both?

I followed the instructions.  But before doing so I completely deleted the database from the new (publisher) machine.  Then opened Act and had it load the .adf file again.

Next, ran ActDiag v 14   detached the database on the Publisher machine.  Then started Act.  Act found the database, verified it etc  and opened the database.

Next, to the Remote machine and tried to Sync the database.   After going through the complete Sync process the same error message appeared as above.  The database syncs, all the records are correct.  But Act see an error.,

So ran ActDiag v 14 on the Remote machine.  Detached the database, then started ACT which immediately found the database and verified and opened it.   And again did a sync and receive the same error message. 

Whatever is the issue this is going to need more intensive support.

HELP.

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Try opening the remote database - go to Help/ABout and click on the Database Information button.  Close that out and retry sync.  You can also do this on the Main database.  I have found this resolves the dbo principal doesn't exist error.

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

jwmil,
In your previous post that you used ACTDiag to detach/reattach the database, but you did not specify whether you ran the repairs. If you have not already done so, be sure to run all repair and rebuild options on the publisher database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

That did it.  It sync'd and no error messages.  I opened the Help/ About/ Database Information  buttons on both the remote and publisher database.  Thanks for the help.