02-10-2011 07:54 PM
I keep getting this error and i've been trying to fix this. I tried applying some of the techniques on this link but still no luck.
Please let me know if there are any other things i can do, in order to resolve this issue
02-11-2011 07:55 AM
Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!
Can you provide some additional information about your situation:
- What version of ACT! are you running?
- What is your computer's operating system?
- Have you been able to open this database before?
- Is the database local to your computer? or on a host/server?
- Has anything changed with the computer (ex: changed computer name, moved the database files)?
- Are you able to open the Act! demo database or create a new database?
If this database is local to your computer:
The most common cause of this error is that the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service has stopped. Have you checked that step in the article you referenced? KB Article 19640
Another common cause is that the firewall or antivirus software needs to have exceptions added: KB Article 25125
02-11-2011 10:26 AM - edited 02-11-2011 10:34 AM
Thank you for your prompt response.
We are using ACT 10.0 (2008 version)
We are using Windows XP as the OS
We were able to open the files successfully before
The database is local on the computer
nothing has been changed on the computer i.e (computer name, didnt move any database files either)
i've created another database file and it seems to be working fine. However when i try to open the actual database file it doesnt work.
The fire wall and anti virus have exceptions added on for ACT.
Ive reviewed the links which you suggested as well and still i can't access the information.
Now im trying to open the database from the local drive. here is the following error message i am getting.
"The file "D:\ACT1\companyname.ADF" is compressed but does not reside in any read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed. Could not open new database 'filename'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted"
when i try to add the .ADF File from the mapped network drive. i get the following error
"ADF Files must be on local device. Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used."
I was going through the Actdiag command and i also noticed that i cant see that data file under data list either.
thank you for all your support
02-11-2011 11:54 AM
I believe the issue is from the 'compressed' message. You'll need to browse to the location of your database (D:\Act1\) and decompress the files within it. You can do this by:
- right click on the folder 'Act1' > select Properties
- on Properties screen > General tab > select 'Advanced' button
- if option for 'Compress contents' has been checked > uncheck it and select OK
- Select OK on Properties screen
- you will be prompted to apply changes to the folder OR the folder and it's sub-folders and files > select to include subfolders and files > click OK
- the Properties screen will disappear when the decompress is complete
If the option for 'Compress Contents' is not checked, go ahead and enable that option > then click OK > click Apply so that all are compressed. Then follow the above steps to uncheck the option.
To verify that the ADF file is decompressed, look at the ADF file and you will notice that it is no longer BLUE.
Now attempt to open your database.
02-11-2011 03:37 PM
I checked and did as you intructed but the D:\ACT1 is not compressed.
I tried adding the database back in from actdiag and that didnt work either.
02-14-2011 06:20 AM
Just to double check, did you look at the ADF file itself to ensure it is/isn't compressed (blue)?
After having taken multiple steps, at this point what message do you get if you try to open the database using the ADF file (after deleting/renaming the PAD file?