Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Error "Combined field lengths have exceeded max for database ... Resize or delete ..."

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error "Combined field lengths have exceeded max for database ... Resize or delete ..."

My understanding is that the table size is dictated by MSSQL. If you have added a lot of dields to your database you likely have several spilover tables, any one of which could cause the error you are experiencing if you increase the size of a field within a specific table. I don't believe that the ACT! program has any control how spillover tables and the fields with in the tables are controlled because the actual database is under the control of the MSSQL server.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted
Tuned Listener

Re: Error "Combined field lengths have exceeded max for database ... Resize or delete ..."

Thanks for the response Roy, but it still leaves critical questions as I work with ACT!

1. Why would the program create "several spillover tables" and then stop creating them? 

2. It seems the ACT! design team for the Financial Professional version loaded the 'contact' table with a lot of stuff. Any way to move some of the stuff to a different (less used) table?

3. This issue has reading the actdiag report on the fields in the tables. I noticed that some of the fields were set by the program to be at 256 characters when I would set them at 50 characters or less. A lot of wasted space. Yet when I go to field design, unlike most of the fields, these fields do NOT have the ability to adjust field length. For example, there was a fax extension field with 256 characters. The program would not allow me to adust the field length, so I created a new fax extension field with a field length of 11, copied all of the information from the old to the new, then deleted the old field.  A lot of work to try and buy space in my layout.

Any idea why certain fields don't allow the user to adjust the length?  I would love to 'rightsize' the fields and open up some room.

This clearly is not how I (as a user) would like to be spending my time. I was simply trying to add the layouts I need to run my biz and now I am deep in the weeds of programming design choices and limitations.

Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

I've sent you a private message. Please check that.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer