Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error opening database after copying from another machine

Error opening database after copying from another machine

[ Edited ]

Greg,

I am having the same problem. I have my database files stored in an online folder (Dropbox) and retrieve the .adf folder from that folder when I need to work from home. I can't open the file. It gives me the following error.

The log scan number (3437:441:1563) passed to log scan in database “Employers” is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file .ldf does not match the data file (.mdf)

The file is not corrupted because it opens on my computer at the office. Any ideas?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error opening database after copying from another machine

Hello annborah,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. The reason for the error is that you are missing .ALF (log file) for the database. If you are copying the database from one machine to another, you would need the .ADF file, the .ALF file and the [database name]-database files folder. You would then open the database using the .ADF file and will connect to the SQL Server on your machine and open up.

The method you are using is not really the best way. If you need to work on your database from different locations, it would be best to use remote synchronization or even creating and restoring a backup. Is the database at work shared with oither ACT! users or is it just on your machine? Do you have a connection to your machine at work through a network or VPN?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]

The database at work is shared on the network and all the database files are stored in the dropbox folder. In the past, I have had to detach the database at work to be able to open it from home but it is not working now when I do that. I've tried restoring the file at home but it won't let me without renaming it and I don't want more than one file as I do not want duplicate data.

I'm not sure about the remote synchronization and I do not have access to my computer at work through a network or VPN. I was logging in remotely but it is too inefficient working on my computer at the office from my home. 

In order to copy the database files over you will need to detach the database from SQL (through ACT! Diagnostics). Other you may get an error and corrupt the database. This will need to be done when no other users are in the database and you will need to copy it back and reattach it before any others users log back in. Remember, if you do detach the database, you must copy over the .ADF, the .ALF and database files.  Do not copy over the .PAD file. Please see Knowledgebase article 23392 for the proper procedure to move or copy and ACT! database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Also, there is a free VPN service called Hamachi that you can use to connect or sync with you main database from home. Please see Knowledgebase article 23333 for more information.

Greig Hollister

Greg,

Thanks for your responses. I have set up the free VPN and opened the database at my house as a remote database. It has a different name than the database at the office but is it still the same database? Do I still have to synchronize the data even though I have a ip address set in the database?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it opened the main database as a remote. Did you create a remote database from the main and then unpack and restore it on your machine? If so, then on your remote you would go to Tools>Synchronize>Synchronize Now to sync the data. If you simply accessed the main database through the VPN, then sync is not needed.

Greig Hollister