Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message when trying to create new database on new ACT 2012 Pro

Error message when trying to create new database on new ACT 2012 Pro

Hi,

Very frustrated. Help would be much appreciated!

Install went fine.  However, when I try to create a new Database it gives me this error message:

"ACT! encountered an error while performing your request.  Please contact your administrator for asssistance"

Well...there aint no administrator...that would be me

~ Dahlia

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Error message when trying to create new database on new ACT 2012 Pro

Hello Dahlia,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

If your computer has Vista or Windows 7, try launching Sage ACT! with the 'Run as administrator' option, then attempt to create a database.  To use this option: close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select 'Run as administrator'.

If that does not resolve the issue, attempt to open the ACT! Demo database.  Is it successful?  If not, what is the error?

If not resolved:

- What operating system is your computer running?

- Are there additional errors in the Windows Event Viewer?  (right click on 'Computer' or 'My Comptuer' icon > select 'Manage' > expand Event Viewer > check 'Application' and 'System' for errors at same time of attempt to create database)

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your reply!

I have Windows 7.  I tried running as administrator and it gave me the same error.  I could not locate a demo database.

I looked in my computer/manage/application and system but have no idea what I'm looking at: 

Name Type Description Services  Starts, stops, and configures Windows services. WMI Control Extension Snap-in Configures and controls the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service. SQL Server Configuration Manager SQL Server Configuration Manager SQL Server Configuration Manager SQL Server Configuration Manager SQL Server Configuration Manager SQL Server Configuration Manager

~ Dahlia

Dahlia,

I see that you purchased Sage ACT! 2012 on 3/21/2012; with that purchase you receive 30 Days Warranty support.  Since you may have an issue with the Microsoft SQL installation, it would probably be best if you called into Technical support for assistance with the issue.  The phone number for support is 800-927-3989.

Please see your Private Notes.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks Greg, I tried that route a while back. I got frustrated having to wait on hold, get routed to another dept etc. I ended up biting the bullet and hiring a tech person to fix. Take care and all the best. ~ Dahlia

Hello gmartin,

I've come across the same issue but slightly different.  I installed the ACT! 2012 Pro on a Windows XP Pro system with 2GB of ram, 4 days ago.  I've created new folders in the root of the C: (C:\ACT) and gave it full rights to everyone.  I can't create a new database or open the 2012 demo database.  Even having the antivirus and firewall  disabled and logged on as the system/domain administrator.  Any help would be much appreicated.  The Demo says that it's only good for 25 more days.

Hello Tech-lonnie,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Here are some steps I would take to troubleshoot this issue:

- Check Windows Services > ensure 'SQL Server (ACT7)' is started.  If not started, start it and then test.

- Reboot the computer into 'Selective Startup' and test.  Here is an article with steps for Selective Startup: KB Article 21972

- Check Windows Event Viewer for additional error messages.

Greg Martin
Sage