Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message when starting ACT! Stopping program from running.

Copper Contributor

Error message when starting ACT! Stopping program from running.

I had to replace my computer.  My new computer has Vista installed.  I went through the installation and supposedly ACT! was installed successfully.  However, when starting the program it stops and I get the following message:  "The type initializer for 'Protexis.[]' threw an exception"

(Where you see [] the actual display shows a box, I had no method of showing a box)  Can someone let me know what this may concern and how to correct it?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Error message when starting ACT! Stopping program from running.

Iborko,

when you did the install did you just run the setup or did you right click on the setup and select "run as administrator". If you did not set it up this way you will need to uninstall and reinstall using this method otherwise you will find the Vista protection will block the correct setup

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Thank you for your reply and I do appredciate the reply.  I uninstalled ACT! and began to reinstall but could not enter the setup and right click to install as administrator.  At each step of the install I tried the right click but to no avail.  However, after several tries a window came up and the following message appeared:

Prereq.Exceptions.InvalidInputEceptions: Exception of type. 'Prereq.exceptions.InvalidInputException' was thrown.  At prereq.AccessINI.Parse(TextReader sr) at Prereq.Program.Main(string[]args)

I pressed the OK button the above message disappeared and another message popped up that said "Microsoft does not have a solution for this problem at this time" and the program continued with installation.  After completion I clicked the ACT! icon and the program started and stopped with the same problem as previously reported.

Have any other suggestions?

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

What is the version of ACT!

Is this a 64bit Vista Operating System

Only ACT! 11.x will work on a 64bit operating system.

Message Edited by MMcFadden on 02-16-2009 09:09 AM
Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

If this is true, then your answer hurts.  Yes, my new computer is a 64 bit.  I did not see on the requirements for version 10.0 that this version would only work on 32 bit machines. I had good results with version 10 and was not planning on upgrading to 11 because of spending issues.  Is there a "patch" that can be downloaded?