Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message saving a new opportunity

Error message saving a new opportunity

Hi, I am experiencing an error message when trying to save a new opportunity - message reads: "There was an error saving the opportunity. Please verify that the contact, process, stage and any associated groups and companies still exist".  As far as I can tell, everything is fine.  If I <OK> the error message then <Cancel> (instead of <OK>) the opportunity, it saves fine.  Not an end-of-the-world problem then, I guess, but an annoyance that hopefully can be removed??  I am using ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.1.199.  Many thanks in advance, Andrew

Re: Error message saving a new opportunity

AndrewD,

Try rebuilding ACT! preferences using the KB below.

How To Rebuild ACT! Preferences Using the ACT! Diagnostics Utility

I am having the same problem and error message, except that I realize when I "Cancel" and go back into the existing opportunity, the data I changed under the User Fields tab is not saved. All changed data on every other part of the Opportunity is saved. Would rebuilding the preferences as you suggested to the other poster resolve this? Thank you.

Yes, rebuilding preference may resolve your issue.

I'm working on some changes to our ACT database and have discovered this error too. We are about to heavily rely on the oppertunities section with over 400 oppertunities going in each month! Has anyone found a fix ti this?

I have gone through the rebuilding of the preferences. Obviously I've tried other machines and it's not or does seem machine specific.

We are running the workgroups version of 2006 (8.x) with 40 users.

I've also created another server and tried restore the backup as a new database on that with only the one user it still has this issue. I therefore think it's database specific. But have also run both the Check and repair in ACT and the Check/Repair/Reindex in Act Diag as well.

Can anyone help?

After many hours on it this week, I've discovered it does not happen with new ones only some of the older ones and the further back you go the more likely the problem is to occur. We have around 7000 opportunities in our file and I would guess at more than half are affected.

I would seem possible than that the message that appears could be correct but how can it be fixed?

We actually DID eventually figure out what was causing this problem for us with our old opportunities as well. It had to do with the fact that some fields on the User Fields or Opportunity Info tabs were now designated with drop down menus that we had created AFTER we created that particular opportunity, and the value of those fields was no longer a choice on those drop downs. Therefore, it would not save the opportunity.

My suggestion is to check all of your fields for inconsistencies of this nature, and you should be able to make corrections from there. Good luck! 

Thanks you've answered my next question I discovered that if I changed different  fields on the user tabs eventually it saved which is further more confirmed by your reply.

Thanks ADL_Sales, I hope this helps anyone else stuck in this loop on ACT.