Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message on yes/ no field

Tuned Listener

Error message on yes/ no field

Hi,

I am getting the error message “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” The error message occurs after ticking or unticking a Yes/No field in the Contact Detail view, and then clicking on the Notes / History / Activities etc tabs below.

If I tick or untick then change view (to Companies for example), then click back to the Contact Detail screen the error message doesn’t occur when I click on the Notes / History / Activities etc tabs below.

We have ACT! 2008 Version 10 running with 5 remote databases. I’ve recently defined a new Yes/No field for Contacts and have added this to the design layout of the Contact Detail view. This is getting the error message, but also an older Yes/No field is getting the same error message which didn’t seem to be a problem before.

Does anybody have any thoughts as to what may have caused this?

Copper Contributor

Re: Error message on yes/ no field

I am getting the same thing with ACT Premium 2010.

1. I created a new yes/no field
  2. I added it to the layout
  3. I checked the box and received " Object reference not set to an instance of an object"
  4. I logged into the database from another computer and tried again - no problem.
  5. I tried a third computer, logged in as the same user - again no problem.

Why is this only happening on a single workstation running a remote database?

...rd

Platinum Super Contributor

Since this is only happening on one computer, it may be that the Act! Preferences have become corrupted.  Here is a an article with several reasons for the 'Object Reference' message and steps to resolve: KB Article 24350

Note: look at the section titled 'Attempting to Open the Layout Designer or Switching Between Layouts' for the steps to recreate the Preference files and for checking your monitor's DPI settings.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thank you for the quick response....

I took the shotgun approach:

1. I un-installed ACT from the problem workstation and recreated the remote database file on the server.
  2. I also deleted all the ACT folders and registry keys I could find.
  3. Reinstalled ACT and voila! No more error messages.

Maybe the schema was damaged somehow...?

Wish I had a more specific answer to this VERY generic error message.

Thanks again...rd 

Copper Contributor

It's been about 6 weeks and I now have the same issue again. Click a yes/no field and " Object reference not set to an instance of an object" pops up again.

What is going on here?

Copper Contributor

BTW: here is my original post (on another thread that never received a reply).

I am using ACT! By Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

Windows 7 Professional 32 bit (new Sony Vaio)

I use a remote database that syncs with the main database on a Windows 2003 server

In contact List View...

1. Each time I select the edit Edit Mode checkbox I get a pop up message that says, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
  2. If I click okay, I seem to be able to proceed with editing in list view/edit mode without issue.
  3. Once I click the checkbox to turn off Edit Mode, I get the same error message - click okay - and continue without any other errors.

I assume this should not be happening but have no idea how to diagnose it.

INTERESTING NOTE

I created a yes/no field and inserted it in my layout. I found that when I used the field, I would get the same error message - but my staff would not. It was specific to my computer. So I uninstalled ACT and SQL, rebooted and then reinstalled everything and recreated my remote database - problem solved - or so I thought. Now I have this error message, as described above.  Not sure if this is related or not...

Thanks for any info offered...rd