03-17-2010 06:08 AM
I am getting the error message “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.” The error message occurs after ticking or unticking a Yes/No field in the Contact Detail view, and then clicking on the Notes / History / Activities etc tabs below.
If I tick or untick then change view (to Companies for example), then click back to the Contact Detail screen the error message doesn’t occur when I click on the Notes / History / Activities etc tabs below.
We have ACT! 2008 Version 10 running with 5 remote databases. I’ve recently defined a new Yes/No field for Contacts and have added this to the design layout of the Contact Detail view. This is getting the error message, but also an older Yes/No field is getting the same error message which didn’t seem to be a problem before.
Does anybody have any thoughts as to what may have caused this?
08-30-2010 04:43 PM
I am getting the same thing with ACT Premium 2010.
Why is this only happening on a single workstation running a remote database?
08-31-2010 06:08 AM
Since this is only happening on one computer, it may be that the Act! Preferences have become corrupted. Here is a an article with several reasons for the 'Object Reference' message and steps to resolve: KB Article 24350
Note: look at the section titled 'Attempting to Open the Layout Designer or Switching Between Layouts' for the steps to recreate the Preference files and for checking your monitor's DPI settings.
08-31-2010 09:31 AM
Thank you for the quick response....
I took the shotgun approach:
Maybe the schema was damaged somehow...?
Wish I had a more specific answer to this VERY generic error message.
10-21-2010 09:31 AM
It's been about 6 weeks and I now have the same issue again. Click a yes/no field and " Object reference not set to an instance of an object" pops up again.
What is going on here?
10-21-2010 09:34 AM
BTW: here is my original post (on another thread that never received a reply).
I am using ACT! By Sage Premium 2010 Version 126.96.36.199, Hot Fix 1
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit (new Sony Vaio)
I use a remote database that syncs with the main database on a Windows 2003 server
In contact List View...
I assume this should not be happening but have no idea how to diagnose it.
I created a yes/no field and inserted it in my layout. I found that when I used the field, I would get the same error message - but my staff would not. It was specific to my computer. So I uninstalled ACT and SQL, rebooted and then reinstalled everything and recreated my remote database - problem solved - or so I thought. Now I have this error message, as described above. Not sure if this is related or not...
Thanks for any info offered...rd