Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message....help

Copper Contributor

Error message....help

When I turn on my PC, I get an ACT! 2010 error message before I even click the ACT! icon to load the program. The message is, "External component has thrown an error". I click on OK and get another message, "The application has encountered an error and has been shut down. Would you like to report the error."

Once my PC is fully booted up and I try to open ACT!, I get the same errors. I can not open ACT!. I searched the knowledge base and found no articles specific to the problem. Articles that reference the error also reference things like "conversion" or "synchronization" and I'm not trying to do either one.

I would appreciate help with the issue.

Thank you.

Dan

Silver Contributor

Re: Error message....help

I've seen this at times with either a corrupted plugins folder or a broken or incompatible ACT add in. Do you have any ACT addins loaded?  HEre are the steps.  (Please don't proceed if you are not comfortable with these)

To test this theory, close ACT, browse to c:/ Program Files/ACT/ACT For Windows/Plugins.  Make a copy of the Plugins folder (right click and copy on the folder and then paste) .  Then delete (or empty out) the plugins folder. ACT will recreate the essential plugins the next time you start ACT.  If ACT starts properly, it was probably a plugin.  You can now reload them to find the offending plugin.

The next thing would be to start the ACT demo database.  Since ACT won't start, you will have to browse for this (usually is in your My documents) start the ACT demo.pad file and see if ACT starts with the demo database.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Re: Error message....help

Jon, thank you for your offer of help.

I emptied the folder excluding two files, which I was unable to remove. They are:

Act.UI.InternetExplorer.Plugins.AttachFile.dll

Act.Interop.SHDocVw.dll

When I try to remove them, I get the message: "Action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Explorer. "

So with all the files removed except for the above, I was still unable to open ACT!. I then located the demo file and double clicked it and got the same error message.

If you have any other recommendations, I sure would appreciate it.

Also thank you for the info on your Webinar. I doubt I can be home in time...I only use ACT! at home since I'm retired. But if I am home, how do I join in?

Thanks again.

Dan