Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message during customization of fields ACT! 2009

Error message during customization of fields ACT! 2009

I keep on getting an error message "out of context" when I try to create new fields. It will not let me move ahead. I have to control/alt/delete in order to exit the designer interface and then it automatically closes out ACT! and I have to reopen the program. Any ideas what the problem may be?

Thanks,

AM

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error message during customization of fields ACT! 2009

If you are in a shared database, do other users get this error as well?  What is the full error message?  Does this happen when you try to create fields from the Tools/Define Fields menu as well (not from with the designer)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I am a single user. "Out of context" IS the complete error message. This happens when I am in the Layout designer and attempt to create a new field by clicking on field in the toolbox menu and then dragging it to the gridboard. A field box opens up, I click create new field and put in say Assistant and will then try to click ok and that is when this error message pops up in a small dialogue box. I seemed to have worked around it by 1st creating a new field, then going into the designer and choosing that field name. It's not consistent though. I'm assuming it's some sort of a bug in the program.
Copper Elite Contributor

Same error, XP 64-Bit, when editing layout get the error "Out Of Context" 

resetting the preferences seems to fix this

KB 14770

Scott Lahn
Sage ACT! Customer Support

I get the same error when trying to manage Opportunity Process list as well as the contact layout.  I'm new to this forum.  Do the ACT! engineers ever monitor and answer these questions?

Yeah, me too. What's the deal? Anyone from Sage gonna answer this issue?

actangel posted a solution that deleting preferences resolve the issue.  Here is a direct link to the KB article.

How To Rebuild ACT! Preferences Using the ACT! Diagnostics Utility

The "solution" posted does not resolve the issue.  I have to end the process via my task manager by ending the process ActSage.exe because if I click cancel, try to x out or anything at all I get the 'Out of Context' error.  VERY annoying.

I get the same error when adding custom field. Must close ACT activity from task menu and program closes and restarts. Seems as though ACT has no solution. Anyone?

Note: I need to 30 custom fields and do not want to have to close and restart ACT 30+ times. 

Separate note: I am also trying to import data in a different manner as first time resulted in ACT having delayed response to mouse actions. Imported 1000 contacts with only 1 history item and then when change screens or direction of scrolling in windows there is a delay of 2-5 seconds for ACT to respond to my mouse click. Is this common? I need to import 10000 contacts and thus need to make sure this issue is fixed before commit to ACT. Cannot have slow mouse click response time, especially when in light mode of planned use. I was told that ACT can support up 80000 contacts. Please advise!

If your startup view is the dashboard, try switching it to contact detail instead.