Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message- customization of user field

Copper Contributor

Error message- customization of user field

I attempt to change the label on User Field 6 and everything goes well until the end, where an error message comes up and it doesn't change the label in my database. HOWEVER, when I go back in to try again, it's already changed IN THE COMPANIES LISTING...but not on my database page!!!

Any ideas???

Jeffrey Anshel
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error message- customization of user field

Hello eyexam,

In regards to your issue, some additional information is needed to better assist you:

- What version of ACT! are you using (from Help/About ACT!)?

- What is the error message you are receiving and at what point to you receive it?

- Does this happen when you are changing the text label for the field or trying to change the field name itself?

- Is this contact field linked to a company field of the same name?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hi Greig,

- Version 9

- "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" is the message;  the label just doesn't change

- Hmmm, not sure- I thought I just wanted to change the text of the label; don't think I was trying to change the field itself....

- Don't think it's linked to anything

thanks

Jeff

Jeffrey Anshel
Platinum Elite Contributor

I assume you mean ACT! 2009 (version 11). Just to make sure I know what process you are using, you are going into the layout designer (Tools/Design Layouts/Contact), then attempting to change the text label for a field (not the white field holder). When you try to save your changes you are getting the error, then seeing that the change was made on the company layout, not the contact layout. Is that correct? If I missed something, please list the steps you are taking when this error occurs.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Yes: ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1

You got it exactly- it doesn't change the label on the contact screen.

I'd like to give you more info but the program FREEZES UP after ONE CLICK on anything....don't know what is going on now!!!!!!!!! I've sent in reports and have no clue as to why it's doing this!!!

WOW, this is the worst experience with any of my Act versions.....hmmmm........

thanks for your thoughts

Jeff

Jeffrey Anshel
Copper Contributor

Greig,

I'm sorry- seems that I missed spoke on my process. I'm NOT trying to change the "contact field"; what I'm attempting to do is "rename" the "User 6" label to another name ("Annual Meeting" in my case). I was trying to find where I did this but couldn't find it anymore- hmm!!! I thought it was Tools/Customize but that didn't take me there either!! I do NOT believe it was "Tools/Design Layouts/Contact" because that is for the basic page layout which I don't want to change. I'm JUST wanting to change the name on the LABEL "User 6" to "Annual Meeting"...that's it!!

thanks

Jeff

Jeffrey Anshel
Copper Contributor

OK, FINALLY found it!!
I went to "Tools/Define Fields/Groups/User 6"; I changed it in that list and it now shows under "Field Name" as "Annual Meeting"; however, when I go back to the contact form/User Fields tab, it's still says "User 6". That is where I want it to change....

thanks

Jeff

Jeffrey Anshel