Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

Copper Contributor

Error message: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

Whenever I launch Act (2012, but I had this with 2010 too) but am not connected to a network (such as on an airplane) I get a message that says "The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found" and doesn't let me into my database. Once I connect to a network, everything is fine. Any ideas how I can get around this error? One clue is that I use a remote database on my laptop, synchronized from my main database. Maybe it is trying to contact the mother ship -- but keep in mind that it works when I'm connected to any old network, even if the desktop isn't present. It just seems to care whether or not it has a network connection st all. If I go into the Synchronization Panel and click Disable Synchronization it tells me that I can never sync again if I do that.

Very frustrating, as I save my mundane contact maintenance tasks for times such as when I'm stuck on an airplane with no connectivity.

Has anyone seen and solved this?

Barry

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error message: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

Hello Barry,
Is that the full error message? Are there any additional errors relating this? Does the error come up immediately (before the login dialog box)? Does the same thing happen if you try to open the demo database (ACT2012Demo)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Re: Error message: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

It is the full error message. I just tried it after disconnecting from the network and I can report the following:

1. Initial splash screen comes up
  2. "Starting Act!"
  3. "Act Loading"
  4. "Contacts Loaded" (maybe it says loading, it disappears too fast)
  5. Error message (before any logon)

One interesting quirk: if I have had Act open while connected to the network, then close Act then disconnect from the network and reopen Act, it works. It seems to "remember" that it had successfully accessed a network. Then I rebooted and stayed disconnected, and got the problem behavior.