Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error message: Could not load file or assembly ACT.shared.Windows.Forms Version=7.0.0.1

Error message: Could not load file or assembly ACT.shared.Windows.Forms Version=7.0.0.1

When I try to enter the design layouts editor, and access the properties of a field in order to edit it I receive the following error message: "Could not load file or assembly 'Act.Shared.Windows.Forms, Version=7.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT:0x80131040).

After looking at threads with a similar problem, I found the Act.Shared.Windows.Forms.dll file under CSmiley Tonguerograms/Act/Act for Windows, and then ran the assembly. However, the file was also located in the assembly. I noticed that in the assembly, the files are all version 14.1.108.0 while the error is looking for version (7.0.0.1). This database originally dates back to before 2000, and the layout and fields for this ACT! database have not been edited in years (I was hired to improve the database), while the software has been updated multiple times. We are currently running Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0

If anyone has any insight into this problem I would be eternally grateful!

Re: Error message: Could not load file or assembly ACT.shared.Windows.Forms Version=7.0.0.1

Hi Jack, there are a few things that can cause this issue, to help us narrow it down, can you please answer the following questions?

What version of Windows are you using?

Do you get the same problem if you use another computer?

If you open the demo database and perform the same action, do you get the same problem?

If you create an entirely new database and try the same action, do you get the same problem?

One thing that we have seen fix the problem is rebuilding local preferences. Can you please follow the steps in the following article to try this?

How To Rebuild the Act! Preferences File

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770

Similar problems have also been caused by problems with Microsoft .net, can you tell us what version of .net you are using?

Re: Error message: Could not load file or assembly ACT.shared.Windows.Forms Version=7.0.0.1

Windows 7 enterprise service pack 1.

No, the other administrator for the database is able to edit it. The assembly files for Act! on his computer are also version 14, like mine.

When I try to open the demo pad, it freezes for a minute then says "The SQL Database instance is unavailable."

When I try to create a new database, I get an error saying: "cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally."

After reading the article for rebuilding Act! preferences, I'm not so sure it is a good idea to attempt that as it sounds like some things could go wrong and put the database down for a bit. If you really think that is the solution I will go for it, but I figured I'd answer your other questions to see if that helps first.

The act database is on a VM which has .net framework version 4.

I appreciate the help. Sorry for the delay in my post. I'm an intern and only work Tuesdays and Fridays.

Thanks very much for your reply. Since other users can make the edits without any problem then that would certainly suggest the problem is related to something on your PC in your specific environment.

Deleting the local preferences will only affect any locally saved changes that you have made (for example, customising the columns you are looking at in the list view), it won't affect any other users so I would recommend trying it, particularly as it seems to be a problem that only affects your PC.

Silver Super Contributor

This database really does go back a ways as they say here in Alabama.  That error message means that some dll executing on your system is attempting to talk to a copy of the act.shared.windows.forms.dll that was created in Act! 2005!.  The simplest way to fix your issue is to uninstall Act!,  delete the C:\Program Files (x86)\Act folder and everything below it and then reinstall Act!.  If you have any plugins installed you will have to reinstall them.  It's possible that one of them if there are any installed is responsible for this error message.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!