Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error loading the layout. (URGENT)

Error loading the layout. (URGENT)

Just created a new layout and when I went to switch from the previous one to the new one. This message appeared.

Also, went back and editted an old layout and went to open it, the same message appeared.  This is happening with all the layouts that are edited.

Now I only have one layout that works and I am afraid to do anything with it.

Need help right away.

Thanks.

T-Billy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error loading the layout. (URGENT)

This message ususually indicates the layout is damaged in a file location you do not have access to.  Also, make sure that your Windows DPI setting is not set higher than 96...this can affect layouts as well.

To control DOI setting:

Close all programs on your computer 

Right-click on your Windows desktop and choose Properties

Go to Settings tab and click the Advanved button

Change DPI to 96 (if set higher)

Click Apply, then OK...then reboot your machine

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

[ Edited ]
Same issue here - brand new Act! installation.  Can't even use "save as" to create an exact copy of a layout without that new layout getting the "error loading" message. Also can't just cancel the changes made - once the layout has been opened in the editor, it's doomed.
One response was to change the screen resolution to 96 dpi. The only change that made was that the "error loading layout" message is much tinier type. Like millions of folks, I use a laptop with a high resolution screen so the 96 dpi setting is just plain unworkable.
I find this reminiscent of the DOS days.
FYI: I was able to find a copy of the fouled up "stock" layout by looking in the Act! demo database. When I copied that file to my contact database I discovered that all the cly (contact layout) files that I had opened in the editor had been corrupted ( zero byte file size). I don't know if this helps or not but at least I'm able to access the "Basic Contact Layout - 1024x768.cly" again. But I still can't modify it.
Message Edited by randallhilton on 08-06-2008 07:40 AM

FYI: I was able to find a copy of the fouled up "stock" layout by looking in the Act! demo database. When I copied that file to my contact database I discovered that all the cly (contact layout) files that I had opened in the editor had been corrupted ( zero byte file size). I don't know if this helps or not but at least I'm able to access the "Basic Contact Layout - 1024x768.cly" again. But I still can't modify it.

The problem you are having saving a layout can be caused by having the database open using a UNC through network places rather than a direct drive mapping.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

re: drive mapping through network places rather than direct drive mapping
In my particular instance, everything is on the local drive. There is no mapping, sharing etc.

That's no guarantee that the database isn't accessed via a UNC. If you are getting an error message when you try to save and it lists a path, look to see if the path starts with a drive letter.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129