Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error getting activity types

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Error getting activity types

I just installed CompanionLink to sync a Blackberry.  It worked wonderfully until I logged back into Act.  Now I get the following error message:

"Error getting Activity Types: 'square box' is an unexpected token.  The expected token is '='.  Line 2486, postive 48."

Any idea how to handle this.  Act seems to be working fine but I can't view my calendar.  When I click on the calendar button, nothing happens.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error getting activity types

Judging by the error message, the issue may have something to do with the Activities setup in your ACT! database. It may be encountering an invalid or unrecognized character or value in the activity types. Here are some thing you can check:

Before doing this steps, backup your ACT! database

Priorities

- Go to Schedule/Manage/Priorities

- Go ahead an enable all Priority types

- Edit each priority by deleting them retyping the name (don't delete the actual item, just retype the name)

Activity Types

- Go to Schedule/Manage/Activity Types

- For each item (with the exception of the first 3), do the following:

* Delete and re-type the name (same as you did for Priorities)

* Make sure the "Active - all new activities of this type" box is checked

* Make sure you have at least 2 results, with one selected as the default...edit each result by again deleting and retyping the name

After you have done these things, run maintenance on your ACT! database by going to Tools/Database Maintenance/Check and Repair

This may or may not be an issue with CompanionLink, but the above suggestions help address any potentional ACT! database issues.  You can also try linking the ACT! Demo database and seeing if the same error occurs.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

Call CompanionLink tech support at 503-243-5200.  They'll get it fixed.
Tuned Listener

Thanks for the offer to phone Compion LInk.  Waited on telephone for them to pick up, when they finally did, their solution was to restore database from backup because he thought it was a database issue.  Restore database - same message.  Started Demo database, same message. 

Don't know how to handle this one.  I can access the database, add notes.  As soon as I go to integrate Outlook calendar and book a time for any appointment, call or to do, I get the same message.

Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Judging by the error message, the issue may have something to do with the Activities setup in your ACT! database. It may be encountering an invalid or unrecognized character or value in the activity types. Here are some thing you can check:

Before doing this steps, backup your ACT! database

Priorities

- Go to Schedule/Manage/Priorities

- Go ahead an enable all Priority types

- Edit each priority by deleting them retyping the name (don't delete the actual item, just retype the name)

Activity Types

- Go to Schedule/Manage/Activity Types

- For each item (with the exception of the first 3), do the following:

* Delete and re-type the name (same as you did for Priorities)

* Make sure the "Active - all new activities of this type" box is checked

* Make sure you have at least 2 results, with one selected as the default...edit each result by again deleting and retyping the name

After you have done these things, run maintenance on your ACT! database by going to Tools/Database Maintenance/Check and Repair

This may or may not be an issue with CompanionLink, but the above suggestions help address any potentional ACT! database issues.  You can also try linking the ACT! Demo database and seeing if the same error occurs.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Thanks, this seemed to work.