Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error creating new database on an office server

Error creating new database on an office server

[ Edited ]

Hello,

First of all, please know that I am not technically gifted, although I am pretty good at following step-by-step instructions to solve issues.

I am an end user working on implementing Act! 2012 Pro.  My objective is to have a singular CRM database that can be accessed by multiple licensed users located in the same physical office.  The database may not be web based and thus a locally networked Act! database made sense to me.  I work for a large financial services company that will not support me with this problem because it is not a company approved software.

We have a drive on a central server (located in our office) that everyone has access to.  It is used to back up and share all types of files, mostly standard documents.  If there is something I want to share with another person in the office I "put it on the O: drive"

I am able to create a new database on my personal machine.  However, when I try to create or save a database to the O: drive, it gives me an operating system error message 5.  In my research here on the forum, this appears to be a permissions issue.  Given that we can all add and access files to the O: drive, does this seem right? I'm sorry I don't have the exact message but I am not at the office.  I will update it when feasible.

I've looked at what I think are the permissions of the O: drive and all the boxes are checked.  All of our personal machines are running Windows XP Professional.  I am not sure about the server but can find out whatever info will help someone troubleshoot with me. 

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

BAH

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error creating new database on an office server

I don't have good news for you. The ACT! program needs to be installed on the server to be able to create an ACT! database and further the database needs to be created on the local hard drive. It can then be accessed via the drive mapping 

Te ACT! program doesn't directly control the ACT! database. The database is attached to the SQL server and the ACT! program accesses the database through the SQL server. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Error creating new database on an office server

Thanks.  I am checking with our IT folks to see if I can install to the server.