Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error creating a new database

Error creating a new database

Dear readers,

I just bought a licence and installed Act! on my PC.  However when creating a new database, I get the following error message:

"Directory lookup for the file "C:\users\_____\Act\Act Data\Databse\name.adf" failed with the operating system error 5 (failed to retrieve text for this error.  Reason: 15105).

Does anyone have any idea why Act! won't create a new database for me?  The demo database is in a .pad format and works fine, however Act! will not create a new database when I request one to be created.  It does create a .adf file with the name I specify, but the error above appears.

Much appreciated.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Error creating a new database

Hello Craziestsinge,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

This message is generally an indication of a lack of permissions.  Here is an article with instructions for updating permissions on the folder you are attempting to create the database within: KB Article 24219

From the folder structure you have listed, this is either a Vista or Windows 7 operating system.  In addition to updating the permissions on the folder, run the ACT! program 'As Administrator'.  To do this: close ACT! > right click on ACT! icon > select 'Run As Administrator'.

Note: On the next attempt, be sure you use a different name for your database than you have used previously.

Greg Martin
Sage

Gmartin. I have the 30-day Trial of the 2012 version. I am having the same problem creating a new database with the same error message. I tried doing all you suggested. I changed the permissions to full access and I did run it as Administrator, but I still got the same error message.  Is there anything else I can try?

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Clint,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

It may be a permission along the path to the default location for a database.  Create a new folder on the C:\ root (ex: C:\ACT DB) and point the new database to this location.  Before creating the database, be sure to add the permissions for "Everyone/Full Control" to the folder security.

Also, try disabling UAC and Run As Administrator.

Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem, i.e. was not able to create a new database. And got error message (Reason: 15105).

This solved my problem: went to the folder where the database is stored (C:\Users\Dell\My Documents\ACT\Act Data\.

Right clicked the "Databases" folder, and selected Properties. The Read-only Attributes was blue. Clicked on the box, said yes to apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files, and got a clear box. After this, I could create the database.