Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error converting database from Act! 3.x to Act! v. 11

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Error converting database from Act! 3.x to Act! v. 11

I have two users who share a v. 3.x database out on a network drive.  I am trying to convert the 3.x version to the 2009 version.  Both are using the software in "trial" mode because they have bought one license (waiting on activation code via email) and the other user is going to order a license after he tries it and they both decide they like the new version.

I copied the database to a test subdirectory on the same network drive to convert it.  (Wanted to make sure it converted correctly without corrupting their original files.)  I'm trying to do the conversion to the network drive but I get this error after I tell it the path for the newly converted db:

"Directory lookup for the file "S:\TREASURY\SHARED\TREASURY1\BONDSALES\thrasher\CRMG.ADF" failed with the operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.)."

Now I browsed to the new subdirectory so why is it saying it can't find the path?

Secondly, I tried to convert it to my local hard drive and it was happy with that but when I put it back out on the local drive I get this:

"Cannot find database fundamental files folder Contacts-files at this location CPUXXXX."  (CPUXXXX being the name of the PC to which it was it was converted.)  I also cannot copy the .adf or .alf files up to the network because it says they are in use (but Act! is not running).

Suggestions?  I would really like to just convert it directly on the network but I'm willing to do it either way.  Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author big_black_cat
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Error converting database from Act! 3.x to Act! v. 11

Exporting from the converted db and importing to the new db worked.  I guess something just went wonky with the conversion.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies

The database needs to be local, you cannot store it on a network drive as it needs to be attached to SQL.  You can then share it from the server so that the other users can access the database.

How to Share an ACT! by Sage Database over a Network 

Copper Contributor

Ok, thank you.  I can now get to the shared directory but I get this error:

Act! error

The host name listed is the name of the PC I am remoting in from not the one where the database is installed.  Would this be because his version is still a "trial" version?

Copper Contributor

Bump.

Does anyone have any idea what to try next?

Platinum Elite Contributor

This error would indicate incorrect information in the .PAD file you are using to try and open the database. The .PAD file contains the name of the database, the name of the host, and the local file path of the database. Try opening the .PAD file with Notepad and correcting any incorrect information in there.

If the database still does not open after updating the .PAD file, then delete the .PAD, and open the database with the .ADF file on the host machine to create a new .PAD file with the correct information. To view and open the .ADF file, you will need to change the value in "Files of Type" on the Open Database screen from .PAD to .ADF.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thank you.  I will try that and let you know how it goes. 
Copper Contributor

Ok, I tried what you suggested, Greg, and afterwards got a message that there were not enough licenses.  I got that copy activated today and I get this error again:

I have shared every file and/or folder  under the "databases" folder.  I get the error message on the PC that I am trying to connect from (i.e., not the host PC).  CPU44014 is the host and the db runs fine on it.  Any idea what to try next?

Platinum Elite Contributor

See if the information in KB Article 19876 helps with this error. The first thing I would check is under Tools/Database Maintenance and see if Share Database is checked.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Checked that and Share Database not check but the option to share it was greyed out.  Something went wrong with the conversion from Act! 2000 to v. 11, maybe???

Have made some progress.  The remote user CAN connect to a brand new database so we're going to try to just export the contacts out of the old, converted db and try to import them into the new one that the user can connect to.  Will let you know if that works.

Solution
Accepted by topic author big_black_cat
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Exporting from the converted db and importing to the new db worked.  I guess something just went wonky with the conversion.

Thanks!