Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error connecting to Microsoft SQL Server

Error connecting to Microsoft SQL Server

I am a new user and just installed ACT 10.0 2008 (this is a single user licence). I can neither create a new database or open the demo database. When I try to create my first database, I get the message "Unable to connect to the database. There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL server". When I try to open the demo database, I get the following message "The database ACT10Demo could not be accessed. In order to access this databse check your network connection and verify that your databse server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

I disabled the firewall on my laptop and even pressed the exit button. Although my laptop can be connected to our Virtual Private Network, it was not connected and ACT is only installed on my laptop.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error connecting to Microsoft SQL Server

Just ran into this problem, followed your link, and solved the problem with my SQL server connectivity.  Back up and running!  Excellent - Thanks!!

Tuned Listener

Around 9 hours spent over the past cople of days trying to re-install ACT! 2011 and still no success. I'm running Windows Vista and had an installation of ACT installed in the past. Initially I came across the issue with an instance of SQL already being installed on the drive . I uninstalled the instance of SQL2008 and re-installed ACT but now came up with an error  - sage act 2011 sql did not install successfully . I uninstalled everything and used the ACT uninstall tool. Re-installed but came up with the same error . Another un-install and then I installed ACT independantly of SQL which I installed from the dependencies folder on the disk . Delighted that ACT had installed , I tried to set up a new database but encountered an error - unable to create the database. there is an error connecting to the microsoft sql server .Various knowledgebases couldn't provide a solution so I un-installed once again and did a re-install with the same result . unable to create the database. there is an error connecting to the microsoft sql server .

Uninstalling again......where to from here ??

Platinum Super Contributor

You'll want to isolate the SQL install issue.  I recommend:

- Uninstall Sage ACT!

- Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (all components - unless another program is also using SQL)

- Browse to C:\Program Files > rename the 'Microsoft SQL Server' folder to 'Microsoft SQL Server - old'

- Reboot computer

-  Use the instructions in the following article to install/create the SQL ACT7 instance:  KB article 26994

If the SQL Server (ACT7) service will start after the installation, you will then install Sage ACT! (it will prompt for the SA password created during the manual creation of the ACT7 instance).

Greg Martin
Sage
Tuned Listener

Thanks Greg , I'll give that a try.

[ Edited ]

I tried using the advice given in the thread above and nothing seems to help.  The user's Database was working fine last week and it just stopped working.  Any other ideas?  It will not open an existing DB and will not create a new one.

Thanks,

Rich

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yeah I verified everything as you suggested Post #2...the link.  Checked services and so on.

Error

Unable to create the database.  There is an error connecting to the Microsoft SQL Server

Come sup if I try to open an existing DB or create a new one.  ACT v11

I eneded up removing ACT and SQL 2005 and then reinstalled fresh.

Seems ok now.  I think if I could've removed SQL and installed that it would have fixed the issue...but for some reason I could not do that.

Good to go.