Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error Message

Error Message

Recieving the following error when I try to open ACT

Access to Path  C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\ACT\Act for Windows 9\DependentDlls.xml is denied

Program crashes and I'm not able to report the issue when prompted....

Running ACT 2007 Version 9 on Windows XP

Have tried reinstalling with the same error.  File does exist, and I don't see anything that should restrict access.

Help

Bronze Contributor

Re: Error Message

You might try by turning off simple file sharing.

Open Explorer

Go to Tools, folder Options

Go to View TAB

Down the bottom if simple file sharing is enabled untickthis option.

Did you install with Administrator rights on the machine as this is another cause.

Are you an Administrator of the machine.

Try renaming the dependentDlls.xml without ACT open as it will get recreated when ACT opens. If you are not able to rename then you have a Windows permission error.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Thanks for the tips Paul, however did not have any sucess by changing simple file sharing option...

I am listed as an administrator on the computer, and I'm able to rename the DependentsDll file, so from at least that standpoint I do have permission to edit....

Checking with our system administrator to see if it could be anything else....

Bronze Contributor

Given if you are part of a domain then it could be a group policy blocking your access so get the network admin to log into your machine and see if the problem goes away
Paul Buchtmann

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

In conjunction with our network administrator we were able to solve the problem.  When the problem first arose, I was attempting to open the program while I had a VPN connection to our network.  I think when ACT failed to make a connection to our network database, it went to the C: drive database and corrupted the Act for Windows folder causing the denial of access.  When I logged on to my computer locally (and not our network), I was able to rename the Act for Windows folder, and then able to run ACT locally.  Having done that, I logged in to our LAN and with the renamed folder, ACT started up with no problem.  The lesson I've learned is that ACT doesn't like VPN (like most other programs not made by Microsoft).  Thanks again for your advice....

Cheers.

I'd had some sucess doing this before, but I think it was a matter of time. 

Bronze Contributor

Glad you solved it and I have seen a number of these profile and network issues more recently
Paul Buchtmann