Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error Message - Value cannot be null. Parameter name: criteria

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Error Message - Value cannot be null. Parameter name: criteria

I'm new to this forum and I earlier posted this question in another message with the same question posted by another person.  I want to make sure it's seen so I'm posting it as a new post.

I got the above error message today when trying to add a new contact.  This is the first time I have ever seen this error message in the 15 years I've been using ACT.  I have looked for any missing data or red flags denoting missing data, and I found none.  I've looked in the contact view tabs from "Notes" to "Home Address" and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Today I did change a field name in Opportunities but I don't thiink that should cause any problems with entering a new contact.  I have gone back and reversed my field change to the original status, but the problem continues.

I'm running Windows XP.

Any ideas how to fix this other than looking for missing data in a field?

Thanks,

SteveM

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author SteveM
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Error Message - Value cannot be null. Parameter name: criteria

Solved this one myself after a lot of digging in the user forum.  I found a reference to this problem stating that turning off the Duplicate Checking tab in - Tools / Preferences / General / Duplicate Checking would solve the problem.  It worked.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author SteveM
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Solved this one myself after a lot of digging in the user forum.  I found a reference to this problem stating that turning off the Duplicate Checking tab in - Tools / Preferences / General / Duplicate Checking would solve the problem.  It worked.

Thank you so very much for reposting . . . this solution helped me solve my two day frustration, thanks!!!

Thank you VERY much! I just want to add for Preium 12 version: Tools/Preferences/Admin (which is the last tab available and did not show up on my screen - you have to scroll over!!!)/Duplicate Checking/Enable duplicate checking  - ok

Thank you so much for reposting! This error happened to me after I upgraded to ACT 2012 Ver. 14. This fixed the annoying problem in seconds.

Note that this error is still happening in July 2012.

It worked for me, too! I just spent about an hour and a half stumbling around the internet, trying to figure this one out...And it worked! Solved several problems at once, actually. Great.
Platinum Elite Contributor

This issue is usually caused by no fields being selected when duplicate checking is on. It can also be resolved with duplicate checking enabled by making sure that at least one field is selected for each record type (contact, company, group).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.