Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error AFTER ACT 2009 Install - 'Act.ProtexisProvider.ProtexisProvider'

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Error AFTER ACT 2009 Install - 'Act.ProtexisProvider.ProtexisProvider'

Hi,

On two PC's where I have installed ACT I get this error message on both of them:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at Act.ProtexisProvider.ProtexisProvider

Can anyone help as this is really slowing me down

Declan D

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author declan
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Error AFTER ACT 2009 Install - 'Act.ProtexisProvider.ProtexisProvider'

[ Edited ]

Hi Matt

Your solution (deleting si.txt file) did not work but it did point me in the right direction though...

I went down to the users pc and deleted the file that you told me to, when I started ACT it just hung and did not do anything.

Then I said to myself ‘how is it getting that SI.txt file in the first place when I am NOT doing a silent install?’ What was happening was that the setup file that I was using to install ACT was on a network share.  This setup file in turn (for some reason I don’t know) was accessing a subfolder called ACTWG and taking out of there the settings contained in the SI.TXT file.

I find it so strange that even though I double clicked on setup.exe from the main folder that it still accessed the ACTWG folder… Anywho, I uninstalled ACT, rebooted the PC and installed from the original disk not the disk on the network share and the problem was solved. This does not make sense because a lot of the silent installs worked.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Declan D

Message Edited by declan on 02-10-2009 09:33 AM

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

I also found this in the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Protexis Licensing Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 17
Date:  5/02/2009
Time:  10:36:57
User:  N/A
Computer: PC01
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 17 ) in Source ( Protexis Licensing Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: PsiKey_2.dll.

Nickel Elite Contributor

This could be related to a bad serial number.  Could you kindly check with your sales rep regarding the serial number, or double check that you have entered the proper one?

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Copper Contributor

Hi Matt and thank you very much for your help.

Hmm..I dont think so.   The program never started so I never had the oppertunity to add a key

Orginally this package was installed via a silent install, it was when I went down to the users PC, I orginally saw the error message.  Then I tried to do a full uninstall (using the tool I found at KB19338) but I dont think it is for the right version.  I am using version 11.
I dont think that the silent package is the problem because it was sent out to about 5 PC's and 2 of them installed ok. 

Maybe the key has expired?  Can I find the key in the registry and maybe change it there because we have got a new key now.

Thanks again
Declan D
Nickel Elite Contributor

Please check your private mail messages, should have an icon in the upper right of the screen.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Solution
Accepted by topic author declan
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Matt

Your solution (deleting si.txt file) did not work but it did point me in the right direction though...

I went down to the users pc and deleted the file that you told me to, when I started ACT it just hung and did not do anything.

Then I said to myself ‘how is it getting that SI.txt file in the first place when I am NOT doing a silent install?’ What was happening was that the setup file that I was using to install ACT was on a network share.  This setup file in turn (for some reason I don’t know) was accessing a subfolder called ACTWG and taking out of there the settings contained in the SI.TXT file.

I find it so strange that even though I double clicked on setup.exe from the main folder that it still accessed the ACTWG folder… Anywho, I uninstalled ACT, rebooted the PC and installed from the original disk not the disk on the network share and the problem was solved. This does not make sense because a lot of the silent installs worked.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Declan D

Message Edited by declan on 02-10-2009 09:33 AM