Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Error -1603 fatal error during installation

Master Commentator
Posts: 287
Country: USA

Re: Error -1603 fatal error during installation

LOL - i just read the top of the page for turning off UAC on the link below.
It cracked me up because it says they don't support Microsoft products, then why are they using microsoft's installer and .net 2.0 framework?
sorry, i couldn't help it.
 


GLComputing wrote:


 
If you don't have admin rights, you cannot do the install. No point in trying till you do.
Also, turn off Vista UAC - http://tinyurl.com/2xbgga
 
No need to do a manual uninstall. Just run the Uninstaller.exe from that KB - once you have done the above.



Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,584
Country: Australia

Re: Error -1603 fatal error during installation

The support the MS components used in ACT!... which is all you can expect
 
But still worried that you said you're trying this and not an admin
Master Commentator
Posts: 287
Country: USA

admin rights

ok, i have the vista laptop on. i looked in the control panel --> user accounts.
it says my account is an administrator account.
i turned the uac off when i got the laptop.
is there any place else where administrator rights are configured in vista?
 
 


GLComputing wrote:


 
If you don't have admin rights, you cannot do the install. No point in trying till you do.
Also, turn off Vista UAC - http://tinyurl.com/2xbgga
 
No need to do a manual uninstall. Just run the Uninstaller.exe from that KB - once you have done the above.



Master Commentator
Posts: 287
Country: USA

Re: Error -1603 fatal error during installation

 
ahhh, ok, not i understand why it's called act7. thank you

consultants are costly.
tech support should be free, especially since i can't install the software (smile)
 
perhaps the problem is that 2.0 was installed after 3.5, which isn't the normal progression path, if you know what i mean.
 
my copy of vs 2008 is not a beta or trial version.
 


GLComputing wrote:
The SQL instance is called act7 in version 7.0 - 10.0
 
ACC - ACT! Certified Consultant - www.act.com/acc
 
 
.Net 3.5 and 2.0 are seperate, they are not upgrades. I haven't heard of a conflict at this time
 
You're running VS 2008, right? Isn't that beta? I wonder if it's causing some of these issues



Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,584
Country: Australia

Re: admin rights



training2go wrote:
ok, i have the vista laptop on. i looked in the control panel --> user accounts.
it says my account is an administrator account.
i turned the uac off when i got the laptop.
is there any place else where administrator rights are configured in vista?

You said you weren't an admin before in this thread.
If UAC is off and your account says Admin, you should be fine... are you on a work domain, or is this just a standalone?
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,584
Country: Australia

Re: Error -1603 fatal error during installation



training2go wrote:
 
ahhh, ok, not i understand why it's called act7. thank you

consultants are costly.
tech support should be free, especially since i can't install the software (smile)
 
perhaps the problem is that 2.0 was installed after 3.5, which isn't the normal progression path, if you know what i mean.
 
my copy of vs 2008 is not a beta or trial version.


Consultants are really only expensive if you don't place much value on your own time.
 
.Net 2.0 is already installed as part of Vista. In XP, you can install them in any order. The later versions are not upgrades... it's only a question of which version the app was written in
 
Ahh yes, brain freeze. VS 2008 was released last Nov.
Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,584
Country: Australia

Re: security rights



training2go wrote:
i have admin rights.
i turned off the UAC thing, the day the computer arrived.

off the top of my head, i can't remember where the admin rights are in vista. right now, i'm not using the vista machine, but i will turn it on and will list the options selected for admin rights.

i've run the uninstaller a few times, but it doesn't seem to remove what it should.
now that i've paritally manually uninstalled this mess, i'll run it again.

i will say, that out of all the software that i have ever installed and i've installed more software then most people, this is just too quirky. i didn't have this much trouble installing peoplesoft and oracle.

i really appreciate you taking the time to help me. act/sage should put you on the payroll for sure!

 
The uninstaller.exe from the Knowledge Base (the first item in the list I sent you) is the one I mean. It will get everything
Not the one from the Control Panel
 
The problems are nearly always with the Microsoft components if there is something odd on the system
 
BTW: You remember I said to install Office before ACT!?
 
Yeah, it would be nice to get paid for what I do
Master Commentator
Posts: 287
Country: USA

Re: restart in selective mode

 
does this mean that i should disable ALL microsoft services except for the SQL ones?
and vista will still boot? that seems scary.


GLComputing wrote:
If you follow the steps, they will be ok
 
BUT YOU NEED TO BE AN ADMIN AND TURN OFF UAC FIRST!!!



Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 14,584
Country: Australia

Re: restart in selective mode

Please read the KB article closely... it explains it as well as possible with pics.
Master Commentator
Posts: 287
Country: USA

Re: Error -1603 fatal error during installation

i am previous message i confirmed that i have admin rights. when i first replied i didn't have the vista laptop on.
after posting that message, i turned the vista laptop on and went into the user accounts to confirm.
i posted another message say that i am right and that i have admin rights and did before i ever attempted to install act.
 
 


GLComputing wrote:
The support the MS components used in ACT!... which is all you can expect
 
But still worried that you said you're trying this and not an admin