Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error -1603 fatal error during installation

Master Commentator

Re: Error -1603 fatal error during installation

hi jason,
is this the file name of the installer? extensibility msm.msi
if not, please let me know what the file name of the installer is.

i ran the above program, but it didn't help.

please advise.

jason wrote:
Hello,

Have you tried reinstalling Windows Installer from your ACT! CD (Dependencies folder) as described in the following thread?

HTH,
jason

Master Commentator

Hello,

The SQL products were installed when I installed Visual Studio 2008 or they came installed on the laptop. This laptop is brand new. The only things that I have installed are Visual Studio and SnagIt. I haven't even installed MS Office.

I must have said something wrong before. I'm sorry. There were no previous versions of ACT installed on this computer. I've only tried to install the 2008 version.

If I understand everything that you have said, the list below is now what I should do

Use the Uninstaller.exe from the ACT! KB 19338
Perform a Selective restart with MSCONFIG as per ACT! KB 14499
Install ACT! 10 (and the 10.01 patch if you're CD doesn't include it)
* Restore from Selective Startup Mode with MSCONFIG
Reboot

* Does this mean to reselect the default option that I cleared to perfom a selective restart based on kb 14499

If this doesn't work, will tech support walk me through this, so that I can install the software?
I've spent way too much time trying to get this to work.
It seems to me, that this is a lot of work to install this software package, especially on a new laptop.

GLComputing wrote:
In Vista, skip the uninstall and reinstall of .Net... the rest (including Selective Startup) will still apply

Unless you're running another SQL product, you can uninstall them all
MSXML will be reinstalled with the manual SQL install

You have SQL installed seperately from ACT!?

Then just uninstall the ACT7 parts and create the ACT7 instance with your SQL version. This might have been the conflict

Platinum Elite Contributor

The SQL products were installed when I installed Visual Studio 2008 or they came installed on the laptop. This laptop is brand new. The only things that I have installed are Visual Studio and SnagIt. I haven't even installed MS Office.

So you have SQL install CD? Then don't uninstall it and, instead of the manual install of SQL, use the create manual ACT7 SQL instance in the KB

Install Office first or ACT! won't be able to link to it

If I understand everything that you have said, the list below is now what I should do

Reboot

* Does this mean to reselect the default option that I cleared to perfom a selective restart based on kb 14499

Yes... but it you have SQL installer, I'd manually create the ACT7 instance

If this doesn't work, will tech support walk me through this, so that I can install the software?

Not sure... I usually recommend using an ACC

t seems to me, that this is a lot of work to install this software package, especially on a new laptop.

I've not seen this on a clean Operating System... not sure why yours is failing
Master Commentator

Results of KB 19338 manually remove act 2008
I have vista, so I did not see some of the items listed.
Hopefully, sage will update this to include info specifically for vista

I do have have access to the documents and setting folder, but I do have admin rights on the computer, so I could not complete the items in that section of the article.

I tried to delete the MSSQL.2 folder, but don't have rights.

I didn't have the folders in step 6 and 7 in the "removing act files & folders" section

Remove registry section of document
the edit multi string key has act7 and SQL express
I left SQL express there and any other place in the instructions where it was not mentioned

i didn't understand step 8 in removing act registry keys
this may not work because act 2008 has the rollback feature

now, i'll try the selective restart, then try to install act.

i'll write back in a little while

Master Commentator

the SQL probably comes with visual studio. have no fear, i am not messing up visual studio just to install act.
i have no need to install office. i was just mentioned not having office installed to demonstrate how clean this machine is.

ok, this is one thing that's confusing me. you say to create the act7 instance.
why am i not creating an act10 instance?

what is an acc? versus me calling tech support.
if tech support can't help me install their software, then there is a problem (smile)

i suspect its failing because i have .net 3.5 installed, so trying to go back in time to .net 2.0 isn't something vista likes.
i did check, .net 2.0 is installed, but i have no way to know if it's working properly.

GLComputing wrote:

So you have SQL install CD? Then don't uninstall it and, instead of the manual install of SQL, use the create manual ACT7 SQL instance in the KB

Install Office first or ACT! won't be able to link to it

Reboot

Yes... but it you have SQL installer, I'd manually create the ACT7 instance

Not sure... I usually recommend using an ACC

t seems to me, that this is a lot of work to install this software package, especially on a new laptop.

I've not seen this on a clean Operating System... not sure why yours is failing

training2go wrote:
I do have have access to the documents and setting folder, but I do have admin rights on the computer, so I could not complete the items in that section of the article.

If you don't have admin rights, you cannot do the install. No point in trying till you do.
Also, turn off Vista UAC - http://tinyurl.com/2xbgga

No need to do a manual uninstall. Just run the Uninstaller.exe from that KB - once you have done the above.

The SQL instance is called act7 in version 7.0 - 10.0

ACC - ACT! Certified Consultant - www.act.com/acc

.Net 3.5 and 2.0 are seperate, they are not upgrades. I haven't heard of a conflict at this time

You're running VS 2008, right? Isn't that beta? I wonder if it's causing some of these issues
Master Commentator

Re: restart in selective mode

i'm reading this kb article 14499
the screen shots don't exactly match because i'm using vista

it states to hide all microsoft services, then says to leave the sql services enabled (checked)

i have a lot of microsoft services that i'm not sure whether they should be checked or not to restart in selective mode like

com+
dfs replication
dhcp clinet
wired autoconfig
ip helper
human interface device
cng key isolation
and tons more

what should i do?

Re: restart in selective mode

If you follow the steps, they will be ok

BUT YOU NEED TO BE AN ADMIN AND TURN OFF UAC FIRST!!!
Master Commentator

Re: security rights

i have admin rights.
i turned off the UAC thing, the day the computer arrived.

off the top of my head, i can't remember where the admin rights are in vista. right now, i'm not using the vista machine, but i will turn it on and will list the options selected for admin rights.

i've run the uninstaller a few times, but it doesn't seem to remove what it should.
now that i've paritally manually uninstalled this mess, i'll run it again.

i will say, that out of all the software that i have ever installed and i've installed more software then most people, this is just too quirky. i didn't have this much trouble installing peoplesoft and oracle.

i really appreciate you taking the time to help me. act/sage should put you on the payroll for sure!

GLComputing wrote:

training2go wrote:

If you don't have admin rights, you cannot do the install. No point in trying till you do.
Also, turn off Vista UAC - http://tinyurl.com/2xbgga

No need to do a manual uninstall. Just run the Uninstaller.exe from that KB - once you have done the above.