Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error -1603 fatal error during installation

Master Commentator

Re: admin rights

if i said in a previous message that i didn't have admin rights, it was a typo.
when i created the account, i made it an admin account

my vista laptop is stand alone.
it's not even connected to the net
i'm responding to this forum from my xp laptop.

GLComputing wrote:

training2go wrote:
ok, i have the vista laptop on. i looked in the control panel --> user accounts.
it says my account is an administrator account.
i turned the uac off when i got the laptop.
is there any place else where administrator rights are configured in vista?

You said you weren't an admin before in this thread.
If UAC is off and your account says Admin, you should be fine... are you on a work domain, or is this just a standalone?

Master Commentator

Re: security rights

i just ran the uninstaller attached to kb 19338, again on my vista laptop.

oh, please tell me that it is not a requirement to have ms office 2007 or any version of office installed on the computer that act will be installed on? i do not want office on that laptop.

perhaps you should send them an invoice. who knows, they may pay it (smile)

GLComputing wrote:

training2go wrote:
i have admin rights.
i turned off the UAC thing, the day the computer arrived.

off the top of my head, i can't remember where the admin rights are in vista. right now, i'm not using the vista machine, but i will turn it on and will list the options selected for admin rights.

i've run the uninstaller a few times, but it doesn't seem to remove what it should.
now that i've paritally manually uninstalled this mess, i'll run it again.

i will say, that out of all the software that i have ever installed and i've installed more software then most people, this is just too quirky. i didn't have this much trouble installing peoplesoft and oracle.

i really appreciate you taking the time to help me. act/sage should put you on the payroll for sure!

The uninstaller.exe from the Knowledge Base (the first item in the list I sent you) is the one I mean. It will get everything
Not the one from the Control Panel

The problems are nearly always with the Microsoft components if there is something odd on the system

BTW: You remember I said to install Office before ACT!?

Yeah, it would be nice to get paid for what I do

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: security rights

training2go wrote:
i just ran the uninstaller attached to kb 19338, again on my vista laptop.

oh, please tell me that it is not a requirement to have ms office 2007 or any version of office installed on the computer that act will be installed on? i do not want office on that laptop.

perhaps you should send them an invoice. who knows, they may pay it (smile)

You only need Office if you want to connect ACT! to Outlook or Word or Excel... you can't install Office later, you would need to reinstall ACT! after Office

If you don't need that, not a problem
Highlighted
Master Commentator

Re: restart in selective mode

which kb article are you referring to?

so far, none of the screen shots look like vista.
in some of the articles i've read, the screen shot comes before the instructions, which is backwards to me.

i haven't made any interface changes to vista.
i'm suffering through it, with the defaults that were setup.

GLComputing wrote:
Please read the KB article closely... it explains it as well as possible with pics.

The KB about Selective Startup

The screens don't need to look like Vista. MSCONFIG works the same in Vista as XP
Master Commentator

hi michael,

if i sound confused, it's because i'm doing 3 major things at the same time.
i'm trying to see if i can install act, playing phone tag with my lawyer and i'm battling via email with a designer and printer over who's at fault.

the screens that i were referring to are the ones on the article for manually uninstalling act.

on to the selective startup article
it states that the only microsoft services to leave checked are the ones for sql.
my concern is that the article was written for windows xp, not vista.
there are a lot of other microsoft services in vista, then there are in xp.

do you think i am suppose to disable all microsoft services except for the 2 or 3 sql services in vista, then reboot?

all i need to do is to disable too many services and the laptop won't boot.
i hope this makes sense.

GLComputing wrote:
The KB about Selective Startup

The screens don't need to look like Vista. MSCONFIG works the same in Vista as XP

Manually uninstalling ACT! is a pain, which is why I didn't recommend it. I mistake when editing the registry can do damage to your system that may even require and operating system reinstall.

The Selective startup works in Vista, just the same. You just need to follow the instructions carefully.
The startup services aren't touched if you follow the instructions. It's like Safe Mode, but with the essential stuff for the install left running

The required files for the Operating System can't be disabled in MSCONFIG
Master Commentator

Hi Mike,

I rebooted in selective mode and after putting the CD in the drive, I got error 1709 or something like that. I'll call tech support monday or tuesday to see if they can figure out what the problem is. If they can't, I'll return the software and look for another contact management package for my clients. I've never not been able to install software and this has taken up way too much time already.

I want to thank you for all of your help.
I truly appreciate it.

Tracy

Are you sure it was 1709?

I don't know that error number. Please try it again and post the corect error
Copper Contributor

Re: Error -1603 fatal error during installation

I've got ACT 2011 Premium that was working just fine on my Window 7 (64 bit) laptop. I recently tried to launch ACT and got an error that it couldn't open my database.

I uninstalled ACT! completely, ran the ACT uninstaller utility, and tried to reinstall. I keep getting stopped by the "1603" error. The file that is being installed when the error appears is ACT.ui.dll.

I've tried launching setup as an Admin with the same result (no luck).

Any advice is appreciated!

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

ACT! 2013 Premium; Microsoft Office 2010