Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error: 1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Error: 1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN

I installed Act 2008 Version 10 in September 2008.  The software worked fine until about mid November and then I couldn't open the data base.  After talking with Act customer support my license was reset so that I could reinstall the program.  I have attempted to do that several times and every time the installation fails with this error message:  "Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation.  Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN for more information."

Can anyone help me with this problem so that I can use this software I purchased.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Error: 1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN

Ok. First thing is to use the ACT Uninstaller located as a file attachment in the following Knowledgebase article:

How To Use the ACT! Uninstaller

When you get to the screen that asks for the filepath to the ACT! installation, make sure it says C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows. Also choose the option to remove the ACT7 instance of SQL as well as the demo database.

Next, you will need to install the full version of ACT! 2008, build 10.0.3.  I will send you the link to this in a Private Message (envelope in top left corner of this screen).

When you are reinstalling, make sure you have turned off User Account Control in Vista.  The steps to do this are in the following KB article:

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®

Let me know how it goes via a reply to this post (not in an email).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Re: Error: 1603 Fatal error during installation. Consult Windows Installer Help (Msi.chm) or MSDN

Are you installing to an XP machine or a Vista machine?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

My PC uses Vista.
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Ok. First thing is to use the ACT Uninstaller located as a file attachment in the following Knowledgebase article:

How To Use the ACT! Uninstaller

When you get to the screen that asks for the filepath to the ACT! installation, make sure it says C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows. Also choose the option to remove the ACT7 instance of SQL as well as the demo database.

Next, you will need to install the full version of ACT! 2008, build 10.0.3.  I will send you the link to this in a Private Message (envelope in top left corner of this screen).

When you are reinstalling, make sure you have turned off User Account Control in Vista.  The steps to do this are in the following KB article:

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®

Let me know how it goes via a reply to this post (not in an email).

Greig Hollister

I just wanted to let you know that your solution worked for me and I was able to get ACT up and running.

Thank you,

Sue Scaletta

I just purchased ACT 2009 v 11.0 and have tried many times to install on my laptop with Vista and I get thise same error.  I have tried all the solutions listed here and it still won't install.  I get this 1603 error everytime but every third time or so I get some other error...one was 440...something about an infinite loop with function WaitOnDialog.

A couple of time when trying the fresh install, it seemed like it got a little further along in the process.

I hate Vista.

Can you help?

I have encountered the same error message, although I’m running XP Home, Not Vista.

I’m trying to re-install after a virus infected my computer. Do I use the same instructions as was posted for Vista?

THX

Will

Digital Gardener wrote:

I have encountered the same error message, although I’m running XP Home, Not Vista.

I’m trying to re-install after a virus infected my computer. Do I use the same instructions as was posted for Vista?

The top link posted in my previous post wasn't just for Vista... have you tried it?

I got this error when running an update of ACT 2010 on Windows 7.  Is the solution different than ACT 2009 on Vista machines?