Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Error 1067 Windows could not start SQL (ACT7)...

Tuned Listener

Error 1067 Windows could not start SQL (ACT7)...

I just reinstalled ACT Pro V17 on a Windows 32 bit computer from a Windows 64 bit and restored database. Upon attempting to open my database I got message that "...SQL Server is not running, ACT will try to restart.. take a few minutes." It did not start, so I tried to open database with result that is in subject line. I also got link to two possible solutions to manually start the SQL; neither worked, in both cases green bar stopped before completion. I have searched your site for similar problems/solutions but found nothing additional to try. FYI: The new computer has SQL 2014 on program menu; former computer, where ACT worked perfectly, has 2014 and 2008. I even tried downloading and installing 2008 unsuccessfully. I would greatly appreciate some help. WITHOUT ACT I AM DEAD IN THE WATER. Thank you.
Administrator

Re: Error 1067 Windows could not start SQL (ACT7)...

Just to confirm there Bob, when you try to start the SQL Server (ACT7) service from the services window (Start Menu > Run > "services.msc") - the service doesn't start? Does it throw up any error messages when this happens?
Tuned Listener

I get the 1067 error message when I use that routine and click on SQL Server (ACT7)

Administrator

Hmm, it does sound like the SQL Instance hasn't fully installed correctly. The easiest way to reinstall it, is to find the SQL 2014 (x86 / x64) item in the Programs and Features list, and remove it from there. You'd be looking for the one titled: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (xx-bit) - and not any of the other secondary installations like "Native Client" or "Setup".

When removing the SQL instance, please make sure you only remove the ACT7 instance in the remove wizard.

Once you've done this, uninstall and reinstall Act! itself - this will recreate the SQL instance. I'd recommend doing this reinstall with your antivirus disabled, and logged into the PC as an administrator, if you aren't already.

If reinstalling this way doesn't work, there are other ways to fix the SQL Server, but they can be a little more complicated.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Jon's response and suggestion is good BUT...

I would recommend uninstalling Act! first before uninstalling the SQL ACT7 instance.

Then reinstall Act! which will auto install the SQL.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Tuned Listener

I followed David's suggestion to uninstall ACT first. Using the control panel, I got the notification that I needed to close Windows before proceeding, which I did. upon re-entering the control panel and calling for ACT to be uninstalled, I got msg that ACT had apparently already been uninstalled and did I want to delete. Whereupon I  went through the whole process again with same result. This time, thinking the program must have been uninstalled I chose the option to delete ACT from  programs list. However the ACT folder on programs list containing ACT executable and Scratchpad and Scheduler still exits and attempting to start ACT form there gets to the same sticking point of not starting the SQL. Again I waited for the "few seconds" for about 10 minutes.

Is there another way to uninstall? This just seems  to keep getting worse and worse.

I really do appreciate any help you can render to get me out of this fix!

Thank you