Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Enter Key Sometimes Works In List View

Bronze Contributor

Enter Key Sometimes Works In List View

Ver 11

One of the ways I use ACT is to copy and paste information into other programs.  For example, I have a field that holds the cutomer number, so I enter the name of the company, press enter and press enter again to get to the contact view.  Sometimes it will bring up the contact view and sometimes it doesn't.  If I double click, I can bring up the view, but that slows me down, as I am primarily a keyboard user.

Any ideas of what might be causing this inconsistency?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Copper Contributor

Re: Enter Key Sometimes Works In List View

I am not sure I 100% understand your post.

When you are in the List View, are you in Edit mode or not?

If you are in Edit mode, hitting Enter should take you to the next line (and Shift-Enter should take you to the previous line).  When in Edit mode, I have never seen it do anything else.

If you are not in Edit mode, hitting Enter will take you to the Detail view for the currently highlighted contact.

I do not know of a keyboard shortcut for entering/exiting edit mode.

I do not know of a keyboard shortcut for when in edit mode switching to the Detail view for the currently highlighted contact.

If somebody does know of a keyboard shortcut for either action, I would love to know.  (Even if I hit escape and use the Right-Click button, I cannot figure one out...)

Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the reply and asking for further details. 

I am in lookup mode.  For example, I will Alt-Tab to ACT.  Do a lookup of a company and the list displays on the screen.  I then hit return to look at what ever line is highlighted and nothing happens.  I can then click anywhere on the highlighted line and press enter and the detail view comes up.

It's as if the window is not active; yet the window is the result of the lookup.  There are no changes in the colors in the window bars at the top of the screen when I click. 

I hope that made it clearer ... or is it clear as mud now?

Thanks again for your reply.

John Purdy
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

This helps tremendously.

Ah focus is a lovely and many splintered thing....

There are any of a dozen different issues which could be involved.

First (as in my first post) there is the issue of Edit mode or not.  Look at the top of the grid to see if the Edit Mode checkbox is checked.  If it is, that is probably a source of some problems.

Second, Background Loading.  Check your ActSage.exe.config file to see if it is performing background loading.  If it is, you might be better served to turn this off.  (When a view is loaded in the background, it takes focus away from whatever you happen to be doing at the time, wether it is hitting enter to goto a company, or typing in the name of a new contact...  And when you loose focus because of a background load, the only way to get it back that I know of is to use the mouse.)

For diagnostic purposes at the minimum, I would suggest that you try this for a few days to elimiate this as a possibility. 

Third, try to figure out what is happening when it doesn't work.  By that I mean, try to see if you can figure out what does have the focus.

Next time you hit enter and you don't go to the detail view, try some different keyboard things to try to "fix" the problem.  Thing I try....

Press the Up and/or down (and left/right) arrow key(s) several times.  If the focus is on another control, this will often move focus to the grid, then once in the grid, move the currently selected item up and down.

Press the Space bar or Enter key.  If something else has the focus, one of these should activate it/perform the action/toggle the button....  This way you'll see what does have the focus.

Press the Tab button then the Enter key a couple of times.  Do this 5-10 times, and maybe you'll tab your way into the grid.

I don't actually know what the problem is because when I do what I think you are describing, the Enter key has been working for me.

The "best" thing if possible would be if you could get exact steps to follow using the Demo database (i.e. Select Lookup | Company, type "fred", Press Enter Key, notice list of 65 companies, press enter - should goto "fred is silly" ).

Unfortunately, if the problem is intermitent as you describe (which points the finger at background loading more and more...), this may not be possible.

Message Edited by RealNobody on 11-19-2008 07:40 AM
Bronze Contributor

Great tips.  I change the value to "0" for the following part of the config file:

<add key="TAPIEx.CreateLogFile" value="false"/>
  <!-- Number of seconds after contact detail view is shown to background load other views
       for faster view switching performance (note: 0 seconds means don't background load view)-->
  <add key="BackgroundLoadTaskView" value="0"/>
  <add key="BackgroundLoadCalendarView" value="0"/>
  <add key="BackgroundLoadGroupView" value="0"/>
  <add key="BackgroundLoadCompanyView" value="0"/>
  <add key="BackgroundLoadOpportunityView" value="0"/>
    <add key="BackgroundLoadActivityNotification" value="0"/>
    <!-- Pre-Loads portion of ACT! for faster startup -->
    <add key="FastLoadEnabled" value="true"/>

Again, thanks for the advice.  We'll see if this fixex it.  BTW, I did not have any of the boxes checked on the list view.

John Purdy
Bronze Contributor

The changes don't seem to make any difference, but I did play around with some of the keys as you suggested.

If I press the up key several times, the blue bar became active -- but not until at 4 repeated key strokes.

I then played around with the tab key. 

The first tab puts the cursor in the "look for" field

The second tab puts it on "edit mode"

The third tab puts it on "tag mode"

And finally, the fourth tab puts it in the list of companies.

Hope that helps.

John Purdy
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is interesting.

Just playing around it appears that there is a hidden control inbetween the Look For field and the list.  (Maybe not hidden, but basically...)

Next time you hit Enter and it doesn't work, you can:

Hit Tab 4 times and then hit Enter.

OR

Hit Shift-Tab once and then hit Enter.

This may not be what you really wanted, but it is a fairly reasonable alternative in that it is only a couple of extra keystrokes, and personally, hitting enter, not getting what I wanted, then Shift-Tab then Enter is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than using my mouse.

Message Edited by RealNobody on 11-20-2008 01:41 PM
Message Edited by RealNobody on 11-20-2008 01:42 PM