Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Emails not showing in Act!

Tuned Listener

Emails not showing in Act!

I'm having a hit-or-miss issue with emails that are started in Act! showing up in the History of my contacts. There are some times when it does show up, and other times when it doesn't. I'll try using both the "Quick Attach" button as well as going into the specific email, clicking on "Attach to Act! Contact," and updating. In addition, the icon that shows up in the Windows Toolbar is not there (I cannot check the status as to which emails have been attached and which ones have not). I'm assuming this is part of the problem. Any suggestions? I'm running Act! 2009 v.11.0 with Windows XP on a Mac (via Parallels).Any suggestions on why this may be happening?? Thanks for any suggestions!!
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Emails not showing in Act!

I would check in Windows Task Manager to make sure the process Act.Outlook.Service.exe is running.  This can stop - perhaps based on firewalls, etc - and then nothing gets recorded into ACT!.

Kris Lock

ACT! Certified Consultants

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Tuned Listener

Thank you for the tip. It is not running. How do I start running that again?
Tuned Listener

And how do I adjust firewalls etc. to make sure that this doesn't happen again? Like I mentioned..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure why it starts and stops on it's own. Thanks again.
Copper Elite Contributor

Go to c:\program files\act\act for windows\

Double-click on act.outlook.service.exe

It doesn't do anything like say it's starting - but you can verify by checking the task manager to make sure it is running.

Check to make sure it is still running periodically.

Kris Lock

Kris Lock
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

With version 11.0 and beyond ACT! used the Contacts email address to identify which records an email, sent from Outlook, should attach to. If the email address that you are sending to is not the same as that in the ACT! record then the email will not be attached.

If this is a case where replying to received emails from Outlook is resulting in only some emails attaching it could be a case of the other party has changed their email address from what you have it as in ACT!. You can have multiple email address fields in an ACT! Contact to handle the situation where a contact has a number of email addresses. These will be recognised in the attachment process, so creating additional email fields can help.

I have put a suggestion forward that ACT! should look for an email address and if it cannot be found than look based on CN ( common name) in the Contact field as the basis for attachment, that would help alleviate the problem.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Elite Contributor

Just make sure to exclude the Act.Outlook.Service.Exe program in either Windows Firewall or other Anti-Virus programs.

Kris Lock

ACT! Certified Consultant

Kris Lock
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com