Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Emails Disappear

Tuned Listener

Emails Disappear

All new and old emails disappear from ACT.   No one has access to this computer, it has happened to more than one computer all using ACT.  This is the response from my web server.

I'm sorry, but here's how it looks from our end: we have no way to tell what the settings are on your mail client(s). All we know is, on this account, there are exactly zero logins from anywhere except your IP.

There is no setting on the server that determines whether mails are retained on the server or not, that setting is made in the mail client. Mails will stay on the server until they're explicitly deleted by the client - either by deleting them through a webmail/imap client, or through the setting in e.g. Outlook, as detailed here -
http://www.infront.com/delete

There's just no other mechanism by which it would happen. There has certainly been no change in the server function since then- it will as I said save all mails until told - by the user of the mail account - to delete them.

The fact that mails you'd already downloaded were deleted further points toward the mail client. If there's no way that the mail server would delete your mails without being instructed to do so, there's no way at *all* that it could delete mails that resided on your home machine.

The only thing that I can think of is if someone else has access to your computer (or to your home network, and then only if they're technically savvy enough to identify, and then use, the same address that your computer uses) then someone else could have done this.

I wish I could be more helpful here, but frankly there's little we can do. As I said there's nothing that we could do to prevent the situation - we can't force our clients to retain their mail on the server, even if we wanted to. And we don't maintain any backups of the mail servers, because there is such a large volume, of such continually changing content, that the cost would be prohibitive. So all we can really do is, if you tell us what mail client you're using, we can provide explicit instructions on how to set it up, to hopefully prevent this from happening again.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Emails Disappear

What mail client are you using? ACT!'s Internet Mail, Outlook or ACT!'s mail client via Outlook?

What version of ACT!? Full build from help | about
If using Outlook, what version?
Do you also get your emails on other computers or with a smartphone or iPad?

Are the disappearing from the ACT! history, ACT! email client or Outlook?
Tuned Listener

Acts Internet Mail

2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

She has it to her gmail but never goes into it

not only the new ones disappear, but the ones that are in folders

Thanks a lot for your help

Dan

Tuned Listener

My ACT internet emails, incoming and outgoing, again are missing attachments.

PLEASE does anyone know the answer?