Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Email mail merge.

Copper Elite Contributor

Email mail merge.

Is there a way I can mail merge an existing draft email, or use the draft email as the template for the email mail merge?
Nickel Contributor

Re: Email mail merge.

I would just open a new template file  (write|new letter/email template) and copy and paste from that draft email. From there you can clean it up some and add new fields as needed.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
Platinum Elite Contributor

What do you mean by a "draft email"?

How many people are you wanting to send to?

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Mike, I mean an email in my Outlook drafts folder. Actually it is a newsletter with graphics etc in the body in html format created by our web guy. The body does not copy and paste very well as mvpulsts suggested, it loses format. I guess in general terms can I make an existing email into a template, or find some other way to send it individually addressed to 100+ contacts. The lookup for the merge is a Group of about 100 members. Maybe I need to get our web guy to give me the body in a 'paste friendly' format! Either way I still don't get how to create an email template when all the wizard serves you up is a word doc. Pasting from web generated html to Word html loses format.

Thanks for your interest.

You might try MergeMaster! - supports full HTML and any volume. They actually have an office in NZ also
Nickel Contributor

Also have a look at Mail Merge from www.crmaddons.com

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll check them out. Meantime I'm making some progress pasting my flashy newsletter into Emailbody.adt after running the mail merge wizard. I'm just checking if getting rid of the salutation in the body of the first email does it for all recipients. I am just assembling a group of lab rats who will tell me what they receive after a test mail merge run!

Cheers, Graham.

I have a question on this topic.I have seen a lot of people recommending other email merge programs. Is this because ACT cannot do an email merge and maintain the formatting in the body of the e-mail that there was in the ACT Word template? Is this just an ACT shortcoming?

I have been trying to do an email merge on a template that has a few blocks of text like a name and address. Specifically, the 4 lines that are tabbed at about 3/4 of the way across the page never stay there when I do the e-mail merge. Do I need to look into another program to accomplish this? I wanted to make sure that this is the same issue as the original poster because it sounds very similar.

Thanks for your help.

nsmith wrote:

I have a question on this topic.I have seen a lot of people recommending other email merge programs. Is this because ACT cannot do an email merge and maintain the formatting in the body of the e-mail that there was in the ACT Word template? Is this just an ACT shortcoming?

Actually, that's pretty much a Microsoft shortcoming in converting Word to HTML. The bigger issue is that ACT! (and Outlook) run into limitation when trying to send over 150 emails in a single merge

I have been trying to do an email merge on a template that has a few blocks of text like a name and address. Specifically, the 4 lines that are tabbed at about 3/4 of the way across the page never stay there when I do the e-mail merge. Do I need to look into another program to accomplish this? I wanted to make sure that this is the same issue as the original poster because it sounds very similar.

Try using tables instead of tabs.

Thanks for your help.