Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Email history not attaching to Contacts

Re: Email history not attaching to Contacts

Have tried everything in the above thread.  No email history appears for the contact, whether email is sent or received in either Act or Outlook.  Clicking on "Attach to Act contacts" or "Quick attach" in Outlook doesn't attach the email to the contact's history.  If I use the Quick Attach, it generates a dialog box saying that the contact will be attached, but it still doesn't appear in the Act contact.

- I'm using Act 2010, Outlook 2007. 

- All Act menus look normal in Outlook. 

- The Act address book is present in Outlook, and emails are being sent normally. 

- Act.Outlook.Service is running, and I also tried stopping it and restarting it. 

- There are no error messages in the HistoryQueue.

- Running the Outlook rule doesn't work, and there is no failure notification in the system tray.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I have had similar problem using ACT 2009 and Outlook 2007...It seems that sometime it works and attached the email and sometimes it doesn't....When I go to the message and do a Quick Attach sometime it works and attach the msg. Seems like a bug in the code that does the attach. I don't know what the answer is

It's not just you guys, I'm having exactly the same problem, my emails just don't attach to the contact history. They were working fine then one day....nothing. Check with your Outlook that it has not just decided to switch it off, it can happen. In outlook go to Help/about and check in disabled items. That happened to me once and it took me ages to figure it out.

Mine seems to be a lot deeper though I am getting the messages from outlook ok but they are appearing in User\Username\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\HistoryQueue. They are stacked in there but not being imported into ACT. reading the xml file reveals that the mail contact attachment is set to off recordtoemailcontacts="false

I know there is an application that is installed with ACT that sits in the Windows registry and reads the files produced by Outlook and brings them into ACT and it would appear in my case to have gone wrong. I have tried running the ACT.OutlookService.exe and it is active in my processes but I still cannot get it to work.

Any more bright ideas other than a complete reinstall?

Thanks

Alison

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Alison,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. The first thing I would is check your email settings under Tools > Preferences to verify you have the correct history option selected. If so, then try the suggestions in KB Article 19948. If these do not resolve, then your preferences file may be damaged. To rebuild the file, follow the instructions to manually rebuild the preferences found near the bottom of KB Article 14770.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks Greig, there is definately something funny going on! I ended up doing a complete reinstall of ACT just to make sure I had totally clean files. Opened outlook after the install and it worked! once. The ACT toolbar was there, it synced a treat, then the toolbar disappeared again.

Now each time I open Outlook, the toolbar appears but if I perform a quick attach it goes again......until I reopen Outlook when it appears back again.....

Hi Grieg -

Unlike Alison, my XML files are being queued in the Holding folder of HistoryQueue, but recordtoemailcontacts is set to true, so that should be working. 

I've checked everything in the KB19948 article you recommended.  Each item checks out except that my registry path is different than that shown in the KB article.  My registry path is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Act\12.0\OutlookHistoryService\Desktop

The Qpath item doesn't exist at all in my Desktop registry key.  Should I manually create the item? 

Allison,

This sounds like an issue with Outlook not loading the ACT! add-in properly. Try these two things in Outlook (make sure ACT! is closed):

Outlook Maintenance

- Go to Help > Office Diagnostics to run maintenance on Outlook

- Restart Outlook and test

Macro Security:

- Go to Help > Privacy Options

- Click Macro Security on the left

- Choose "No security check for macros" on the right

- Save setting and restart Outlook

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bright Ideas,
The Queuepath is actually not used for ACT! 2010 and higher, so you do not need to add. Click your Windows Start button, go to Run or the Search box and type in "%appdata%". Open the ACT! folder...do you see more than one "Act for Windows" folder in here (with different version numbers)?

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Ok, I had the same problem and went through all the KB's, registry stuff, uninstall-reinstall, firewall, etc.

Turns out that my preferences were not set up properly.
My solution:
-go to Tools
-select Preferences
-go to Admin
-under Attachments, make sure BOTH boxes are checked.

This worked for me.
Platinum Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lee,

Thank you for reporting your findings on this issue! 

We have verified your findings and will be creating a knowledgebase article to explain it!

Greg Martin
Sage