Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Email error message

Email error message

I run ACT 2010 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Once installed and set up with Outlook 2007, everything worked fine. When I clicked on the email address within a contact record email field, it used to open up a new message in Outlook with the email address already in the To: field of the email. Now when I click on an email address, it thinks for a bit and then I get the following error: OBJECT REFERENCE NOT SET TO INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT. I have tried re-setting up the email but nothing is amiss there and all ACT functions in Outlook work fine. Whilst I don't want to seem ungrateful to people who might help me, I can't help but feel I would be much farther ahead with a solution if the people who wrote the error messages, wrote them in plain English so that people other than themselves might have an inkling what the problem might be. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Email error message

Hello Roger_o,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Since it was working at one time, it sounds like it is most likely damaged Act! Preference files causing your issue.  Here is an article with instructions for resolving 'Object Reference' issues (yes, a very generic message...): KB Article 24350

I recommend using this following article for recreating your Act! Preferences first: KB Article 14770

Note: Use the section titled "Alternate Method: Manually Rebuilding Preferences" (on occasion the Actdiag option will not remove the necessary files).

Greg Martin
Sage