Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Email attachments not attaching to record

Copper Contributor

Email attachments not attaching to record

I use ACT! 2010 and I have a problem that when I attach an email to an ACT!  record, the email's attachment is not attached to the record. In Tools, Preferences, Email Setup, under the topic "Select the type of history that will be recorded", I chose the  option, "E-mail subject, message and all attachments". However, the attachments do not attach.

I would appreciate a solution to this problem.

Thank you.

Dan

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Email attachments not attaching to record

There are two screens to enter that in the email wizard ... one for auto attach when sending, the other for manually attaching. Have you set BOTH?

Also check you have the latest build 12.1 + Hotfix 5 ... I there was an issue with this with a couple of ACT! 2011 builds. Don't recall an issue with ACT! 2010, but worth it to be sure
Copper Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

RE: "There are two screens to enter that in the email wizard ... one for auto attach when sending, the other for manually attaching. Have you set BOTH?", I setup attachments as described in my request for help. I have no idea if that step is for auto attach when sending or for manually attaching since neither is referenced in the email setup. Would you mind sharing how to set it up for both auto and manual?

RE the build, I have version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1.

Thanks again.

d

Platinum Elite Contributor

I can't recall the Wizard for 2010... but see items 8 and 9 on this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2532...

8 is when automaticlly sending emails - Wizard screen 5

9 is when you manually attach from Outlook using the icons - wizard screen 6

What steps do you use when you put the email to History?

Copper Contributor

Thank you for your additional reply.

RE the Knowledge Base article, I don't read it as step 9 specifically addressing manual attachments. I realize my brain is 65 years old, but I read step 9 as selecting what contacts are attached, i.e., From, From and To, From and Cc or All.

RE my steps to attach, from Outlook I click on the email that I wish to attach to a record. I then click the Attach to ACT! Contacts button. I then select the record and click on the arrow button to move it to the Attach to These Contacts window and click OK. As I mentioned, the email attaches to the selected record, but the email's attachment does not.

There is another issue. I wrote this I sent an email to myself with an attachment. From My Record, I clicked on Write Email and an Outlook new email opened. I addressed to myself and attached a file. Not only did the file not attach, the email itself didn't attach. For some reason, sometimes email attach to the record when I click on Write E-mail from ACT! and sometimes they don't.

Thanks again.

d

Platinum Super Contributor

Are you able to attach a document to any other area of a contact? 

- in a Note or History

- on the Documents tab

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Attaching a document is no problem using either the Add Document button under Documents, or the Attach button in a note, or the Attach icon in Histories.

Thank you.

Dan

Let's have another look at the basics...

Go into the Email setup preferences (Tools > Preferences > Email tab > Email System Setup button), we should see the following:

- Outlook selected

- ACT! database selected as address book

- Outlook selected as email editor

- on screen 5 of 8 (E-Mail Record History) > subject, message, and all attachments

- on screen 6 of 8 (E-Mail Attach to ACT! Contacts) > subject, message, and all attachments

also - field 'Select what contacts get attached to the history' > 'From' is the recommended setting

If those are set as described here, click Cancel to exit.

When you create an e-mail, what does the ACT! Add-in show for the Record History option?

- in the new message > click on Add-ins tab

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Greg, the issue was step 6. It was set wrong. I don't know why I misread it. I checked the set up two or three times before I requested help. I checked it again when Mike Lazarus tried to help. I have now made the correction and it works as it should. I should pay attention to my wife when she says, "Dan if you'd open your eyes, you would see."

I'm embarrassed I needed help with such a simple solution, but I really appreciate the help you provided. Reflecting on Contributor Mike Lazarus' comments, he was onto the same idea, so I should also acknowledge his helpfulness, too.

Thank you!

Regards,

Dan

I'm just glad to hear it is now working (and was an easy fix)!

Greg Martin
Sage